You may stumble, trip up, fall on your face

Continuing my trip back through the 2005 album charts.

30/01/05 : Push The Button - The Chemical Brothers

We go from pushing the senses to pushing the button - this is an album I've heard but don't think I bought (although I definitely own its three predecessors).  I seem to recall liking it, but I've liked most of the stuff they've done so that's not a massive surprise.

Yeah, I didn't mind this at all.  I recognised "Galvanize" which is the opening track (and the first single) which is a pretty standard Chemicals effort, but the rest of the album is a bit more understated in comparison - you might even call some of it subtle with some very interesting sounds and rhythms on there.  All in all, it's pretty enjoyable - and I like the album cover as well!

We're at #1 with a new entry in the chart this week on the start of an 18 week run, which feels like a decent effort.  The rest of the top five were The Killers, Rooster (a new entry - a UK rock act that I don't remember in the slightest), Scissor Sisters and Keane and the next highest new entry was The Game (#7 - a US hip-hop act that I barely remember).

Wikipedia tells us this is their fifth album and the critics liked it - the only other thing of interest is the usual list of eclectic guest singers which includes Q-Tip, Tim Burgess, Kele Okereke, Anwar Superstar and Romeo Stodart (from The Magic Numbers).  Commercially, it did pretty well globally - #1 in Belgium, #2 in Italy and top twenty in a load of countries, but only #59 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Fatboy Slim, Underworld, Leftfield and The Prodigy - some fine proponents of dance music there!  But I suspect that, for me, the Chemicals are probably up at the top of the pile - particularly when you consider how long they've been at it.

23/01/05 - An enjoyable revisit
06/20/05 - Perfectly fine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves