You made me feel like the one

Continuing my trip back through the 2005 album charts.

03/04/05 : Language Sex Violence Other? - Stereophonics

I don't mind Stereophonics earlier stuff, but their last album was very inessential for me - but this feels early enough that it's gonna have some reasonable stuff on it, although I've never actually heard it.  And surprisingly (to me, at least) it's their top listed album on Amazon Music which immediately upped my expectations since it must get more than a few repeat listens.

And yeah, I really liked this - it's a bit more polished than Performance And Cocktails and reminded me of Manic Street Preachers and U2 (it's got their nice Unforgettable Fire guitar sound on it).  I feel I should have more to say about it - no one track jumped out at me, but it was an impressive first listen which I intend to repeat at some point.  All in all, a very pleasant and unexpected find indeed.

We're at #3 in the charts this week on their third week of an impressive thirty week run and it managed further runs of six and seven weeks in '06 - pleasingly it spent its first four weeks in the chart at positions #1, #2, #3 and #4!  The rest of the top five were best-ofs from Tony Christie (his second week at the top, very much benefiting from his involvement with Peter Kay and Comic Relief) and Basement Jaxx, 50 Cent and New Order (a new entry) and the next highest new entry is Will Smith (#15).

Wikipedia tells me this is their fifth album and reminds me that "Dakota" was a big thing at the time, getting to #1 (their only single to do so).  Interestingly, the album title comes from a BBFC consumer notice for a James Dean DVD, which really makes me wonder what "Other?" relates to.  The critics were quite mixed on the album with some liking it but others feeling they were trying too hard to be hipster - commercially it didn't do loads except for here and in Ireland, where it also got to #1.

"Customers also listened to" Oasis, The Verve, Kaiser Chiefs and Razorlight - all of which is a bit strange because I don't think this album sounds anything like any of them.  But Stereophonics are a bit strange because their albums tend not to sound like their other albums - but I really liked this one!

27/03/05 - Fine, but I don't need a whole album of it
10/04/05 - Perfectly fine and perfectly unnecessary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves