So much chrome on my Benz

Continuing my trip back through the 2005 album charts.

24/04/05 : The Massacre - 50 Cent

Fiddy is very much not my kind of thing, but I did find him surprisingly bearable last time I met him (which was over three years ago now - how did that happen?).  Even so, I can't say my expectations are massively high for this.

Yeah, it wasn't great but it could have been far worse - there's more variety throughout than I was expecting and it's not quite as "n word in the hood" as it might have been.  The first half felt very Eminem inspired whereas the second half leant more towards a Kanye kind of sound, but for me it didn't quite click in the way that either of them can do for me.  But it wasn't dreadful though and didn't drag nearly as much as I was expecting it to.

We're at #6 in the charts this week on his seventh week of a surprisingly lengthy 38 week run, with it having peaked at #1 in its first week.  The top five this week were Akon, best-ofs from Basement Jaxx, Tony Christie and Shakin' Stevens and Razorlight (up from #46 in the previous week, so who knows what caused that) and the highest new entry was a somewhat surprising Queen live album from '86 (#67).

Wikipedia has quite a bit on the album (183 milliPeppers) but it's very light on content - Dre & Eminem were involved in production (amongst many others) and apparently the censored version of the album isn't great (I can quite imagine that was quite the job!).  The critics were mostly pretty complimentary about it, except for The Guardian who hated it (which is somewhat surprising because they normally like to prove how street they are).  Commercially, it was absolutely massive - getting to #1 in the US and shifting six million units over there (whatever a unit was at that time!).

"Customers also listened to" G-Unit, The Game, Lloyd Banks and Obie Trice - all of whom I don't think I've ever listened to a single thing from.  Which obviously isn't the case for 50 Cent since I've listened to a whole two of his albums - he's not my thing, but they were both better than I was expecting.

17/04/05 - Underwhelming
01/05/05 - Bruce doing whatever Bruce wants

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves