Avalanche is sullen and too thin

Continuing my trip back through the 2005 album charts.

17/04/05 : Bleed Like Me - Garbage

I don't mind a bit of Garbage but I've never listened to this album - it just doesn't feel like anyone needs more than a couple of Garbage albums in their life, so I'm expecting this to be fine but completely inessential.

Yup - pretty much that, although I think I'd go as far as to say that, on first listen at least, it's not as good as either of their first two albums (which are the ones I know).  I've not really got a lot more to say about it, except that her diction on "Bad Boyfriend" was such that I thought she was saying she wanted a fat boyfriend.

We're at #4 with a new entry in the charts this week on their start of a six week run and the rest of the top five are Basement Jaxx (their only week at #1, but it spent nine weeks in the top three), Akon, Tony Christie and Natalie Imbruglia and the next highest new entries are best-ofs from Shakin' Stevens (#6) and A-ha (#14).

Wikipedia tells us this is their fourth album and very nearly didn't happen because the initial recording sessions were so antagonistic that they split up for four months without telling anyone.  But Butch Vig met some fans who were super eager to hear the album so they decided to give it another go.  Apparently Dave Grohl helped get them on their way - is there nothing that man can't do?  The critics were pretty mixed on the album but it did well enough commercially, getting to the top twenty in a host of countries and #4 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Hole, Poe, Veruca Salt and Fiona Apple - I've never heard of Poe, but she sounds like the sort of thing I might like.  As are Garbage generally, but I found this album, well, a bit dull really.

10/04/05 - Perfectly fine and perfectly unnecessary
24/04/05 - Well, it could have been worse...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves