Don't look at me that way - it was an honest mistake

Continuing my trip back through the 2005 album charts.

20/03/05 : The Bravery - The Bravery

The Bravery were, for a fleeting moment, the next big thing to come out of the US - and I bought in to the hype and bought the album.  It's fair to say that although they didn't exactly flop, long-lasting success did not result - but I have a couple of tracks on my general playlist so they still pop into my life from time to time and I remember liking the album, so I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

Yeah - I still like it, although I think even the most ardent fan would admit it's of its time.  It's a well done "of its time" though - think Killers or Interpol and you won't be far off the mark, although I can see that some people will find the vocal style annoying.  "An Honest Mistake" (a strong opener), "Give In" and "Out Of Line" are my favourites, but the whole album barrels along pretty sharpish and is all done in 37 minutes.

We're at #5 in the charts this week with a new entry on the start of twelve week run, which feels like a decent effort for the lads - but it's the only time they've troubled the charts over here (although their second album did OK in the US).  The rest of the top five were Stereophonics (a new entry), Tony Christie, 50 Cent, G4 (no, I was never going to listen to that) and we have two more new entries in the top ten for Moby (#8) and Daft Punk (#10) - neither of which I've heard before despite not minding either artist.

Wikipedia has a surprising number of paragraphs which basically say that some critics liked it, some didn't and it did OK commercially in a few places, but best over here.  Their entry explains why none of their other albums charted over here - they were never released due to a disagreement with their record label.

"Customers also listened to" Hot Hot Heat (I'd forgotten about them!), The Sounds (never heard of them), Interpol (I told you) and Bloc Party (yup, this is another good reference point).  I like this album and think it's one of the better offerings from that group of "new wave revivalists" (as WIkipedia terms them) but I can understand if you don't like it.

13/03/05 - Way more enjoyable than I was expecting
27/03/05 - Fine, but I don't need a whole album of it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves