I jumped up this mornin' right out of a dream

Continuing my trip back through the 1977 album charts.

05/06/77 : Sneakin' Suspicion - Dr Feelgood

Like The Manhattan Transfer, I know know some Dr Feelgood stuff, but it's completely escaping me at the minute - I seem to recall they're slightly less odd, but I've no real idea what to expect.

It's kinda funky/rock&roll/pop - bearable but it's not something I'd search out and it all pretty much slid past me unnoticed.  It sounded pretty slapdash, but I suspect there's an awful lot of skill that went into making that happen.  I would say though that, for an album that comes in at just over 33 minutes, it seemed to last an awfully long time - and that's quite the odd album cover as well.

We're back in the top ten on the chart again this week at #10 on their second week of a six week run and this was as high as it got, with #41 being the next highest, so something must have happened this week to raise its profile.  The top five this week were ABBAEagles, The Beatles, The Muppets (a new entry) and Acker Bilk (of course!) and the next highest new entry was Bob Marley and The Wailers.

Wikipedia has remarkably little on the album - it was their fourth album and Wilko Johnson left during the recording which nearly put paid to the group, but they kept going for another fourteen albums and they're still touring now, albeit with none of the original members.  It also notes that "despite its thriving British success, Dr. Feelgood was unable to find an audience in the United States" - that really doesn't surprise me!

"Customers also listened to" Lew Lewis, Nine Below Zero, Eddie & The Hot Rods and The Blues Band - ah yes, that lot.  And so I've got to the end of this feeling like I know even less about Dr Feelgood than I did before I started - they're very much a mystery to me!  I hope this helps...

29/05/77 - Pretty forgettable
12/06/77 - Him again?!?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves