Seein' ain't always believin' - just make sure it's the truth that you're seein'

Continuing my trip back through the 1977 album charts.

29/05/77 : Time Loves A Hero - Little Feat

I'm not sure I've ever even heard of Little Feat, so I've no idea what to expect here - on <minimal body part> name association alone, I'm drawn to Small Faces but I suspect that's not what we're going to be served up.

Hmmm - it's kinda funky soft rock, almost yacht-y at times but not quite.  It glided past quite nicely without really making much of an impression - there's a decent level of skill on display but not a whole load of personality.  With the exception of "Missing You", which is the final track and just has a nice plaintive feel to it - but under normal circumstances I'd have given up way before I got there.  And that's kinda all I've got to say on the matter - I'll be interested to see what "customers also listened to" later on...

This week we're at #9 in the charts on their third week of an eleven week run, with it having peaked at #8 in the previous week - which feels way more successful that I would have imagined this sort of thing being over here.  The top five this week were ABBAEagles, 10cc, A Star Is Born and The Beatles with the highest new entry being, quite obviously, Acker Bilk (#6).

Wikipedia isn't the chattiest about the album - it's their sixth album, the cover was by Neon Park (who was apparently most famous for - doing Little Feat album covers!) and Record World were pretty noncommittal on the title track.  The fact that caught my eye the most is that Fred Tackett played the mandocello on "Time Loves A Hero" - apparently it's a large mandolin tuned the same as a cello and it sounds quite nice.

"Customers also listened to" Hot Tuna, Gregg Allman, Joe Walsh and Dave Mason - a selection of people better known for being in other groups.  I didn't mind this but I've pretty much forgotten it already - it didn't feel like something I'd be seeing in 1977 and it'll be interesting to see if we come across them again.

22/05/77 - An interesting album which needs a few more listens
05/06/77 - In which I learn absolutely nothing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves