A little context if you care to listen - I find myself in a shit position

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

05/01/24 : A Very Odd Week!

WHAT?!?  It's HER?!?  AGAIN?!?  I tell you what - it jolly well isn't...

I saw her twice in 2023 (including last week) and I'm sure she (and everyone else) has had enough of me saying "I really don't understand why she's so popular", so this week - for (hopefully) one week only, we're ripping up the rulebook.  Taylor is at #12 (and #2, #8 and #9 as well), so if we skip over her - where do we end up?



Ignoring a load of best-ofs and Taylor again (#24), takes us all the way down to #27 to Born To Die, Lana del Rey's break-out album from '12.  Does that seem a good way to start the new year?  I tell you what - it jolly well doesn't...

OK - so the rules are getting totally ripped up now.  I've looked through all the rest of the chart and there are only about another five albums that are actually valid for consideration, so I'm going to pick a selection of them that were unlucky to miss out last year - and they're quite the mix, which reflects what we saw throughout the year quite nicely.

Another Friday Night - Joel Corry

I'm not expecting to like this, but I suspect it'll be well done.

Yeah, it’s well done if you like sort of thing.  I didn't actually mind it - it’s not really something I’ve had any use for in a long time, but it’s very much not aimed at me!  It somehow manages to show variety whilst also sounding pretty much the same - but “Lionheart (Fearless)”, “Sorry” and “Out Out” did at least stand out from the pack for me, as did “History” because it’s got Becky Hill on it and she always improves these things.  You can’t fault the lad for his choice of guest artists (there are LOADS of them) but it’s not like he really plays to any of their strengths.

He's at #33 this week on the 25th week of an interesting run, with it having peaked at #5 in its 13th week (I had to suffer Drake that week) - but the next highest it's made is #21.  Oddly, there's no Wikipedia entry for the album, but his entry tells me he was in Geordie Shore and "Sorry" broke the record for most Shazamed track in a single day.

Think Later - Tate MacRae

I've heard most of this in passing because both daughters are very keen on her (and off to see her live later this year) - it sounded fine enough but I'd struggle to say I've actively listened to it, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Ah - unfortunately it does not improve with listening.  It’s all very moany teenage angst with very little variety across the album - not for me, I'm afraid.  Having said that, I quite liked “want that too” and “plastic palm trees” which I suspect are the ones I’d been played most - so either I like them because I've been indoctrinated or I've been played them the most because they're the best ones.  Feel free to do your own research to decide!

She's at #34 this week on the fourth week of her run having peaked at #5 in her first week (Nicki Minaj took the honours that week).  And Wikipedia tells me the critics agreed with me that it's moany teenage angst, but it's done very well commercially globally including #4 in the US.

My 21st Century Blues - RAYE

I'm pleased I got to include this - she was unlucky to miss out at the time and I always meant to listen to it (particularly because she was great at Glasto), but somehow failed to do so.

Yeah - this is a proper album!  Some nicely crafted songs (very Winehousesque) with some cool music and lyrics and her lovely voice.  "escapism" is the track you'll know (because it's a very fine track) and "ice cream man" also stood out for me with some very well crafted, but quite chilling lyrics ("I pushed it down, but it was living in me rent-free").  This is a strong recommendation from me and I feel it should have been on the year-end list - there's also a live version done at the Royal Albert Hall with a full orchestra which is well worth a listen.

She's at #54 with a re-entry this week (she was on Jools' Hootenanny) - she managed a five week run last year, peaking at #2 (Shania Twain took that week with a very average album).  Wikipedia has loads on the album - it actually did surprisingly well globally, even getting to #59 in the US.

And that's all the albums I deem worthy of attention from this week - the top five are Lewis Capaldi (up from #72 because five new tracks were released), Taylor (of course), The Weeknd, ABBA  (we saw the same last year - it is "Happy New Year" that causes this?) and Noah Kahan.  Given the time of year, there are no new entries in the entire chart but there are some bizarre re-entries - two Dua Lipa albums, XXXTentacion, Jung KookChase & Status and The Smiths' Hatful Of Hollow.  Some people had a happy Xmas, didn't they?

Last week I said that Taylor's Lover would stay at #15 and she rose to #13 - close enough for me to claim a moral victory methinks.  I almost copped out and didn't guess any for this week, but let's got for Joel dropping to #45, Tate MacRae rising to #30 and RAYE rising to #43.  Do I actually believe any of those?  No, not really - but you never know!  And this week's Taylor stats are three in the top ten, five in the top twenty and nine in the entire chart.

And I think we just leave this odd week there and hope for a return to normality (whatever that is) next week.

2023 - A mixed year on all fronts
12/01/24 - Perfectly acceptable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves