When I say the word "techno", I don't wanna hear nobody say "heck no"

Continuing my trip back through the 1990 album charts.

18/03/90 : Pump Up The Jam - Technotronic

This will either be a charmingly nostalgic visit to the early 90s or the title track and a load of dross - I know which I'd prefer, but I also know which I'm suspecting and the fact that the Amazon ratings are ten stars for the title track and zero for all the others isn't giving me great hope.  And yes, it's yet another unowned album - 7/42.

You know what?  It's alright!  Yes, it all gets a bit samey but it's a nostalgic samey with some nice bass on it.  And yes, the title track and "This Beat Is Technotronic" do stand out, but the rest are all perfectly fine - I was getting quite a Neneh Cherry vibe off quite a lot of it.  It won't be for everyone (for example, I don't think my mum would dig it) but I found this a lot more interesting than a lot of the albums I've seen this year.  And I love the rhyme in the title lyric!

This week we're at #12 in the charts on a pleasingly twelfth week of an astonishing 44 week run, with it having peaked at #2 in its tenth week.  The top five this week are Sinead O'Connor (a new entry), Bowie (another new entry), Nigel Kennedy, Phil Collins and The Notting Hillbillies and the next highest new entry is (of course) Iron Maiden (#7).

Wikipedia has very little on the album - they're Belgian and the main vocals are done by Ya Kid K, who was completed airbrushed out of early versions, in favour of some random model.  The album was obviously popular in Europe (hitting the top spot in Portugal) but also went down surprisingly well in the US, reaching #10.

"Customers also listened to" Haddaway, C+C Music Factory, 2 Unlimited and Snap! - there's definitely a Euro-dance theme running through that lot.  But I really didn't mind this at all - I won't be playing it on repeat but it was nice to listen to something a bit different.

11/03/90 - Smoooooth
25/03/90 - Nope, I don't get it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves