Give me a lifetime of promises and a world of dreams

Continuing my trip back through the 1990 album charts.

25/03/90 : Foreign Affair - Tina Turner

I recognise that Tina does what she does well, but it's just not something I particularly dig - I find her voice somewhat annoying and her songs all too similar (particularly the 80s/90s stuff).  Maybe this album will convince me otherwise, but I doubt it - and no, I've never owned it (7/41).

Nope, not convinced in the slightest.  I'm happy to admit that "The Best" is a fine track (and yes, I always thought it was actually called "Simply The Best") and there's nothing strictly wrong with any of the others, but I just have no desire to listen to them - I don't know why, but there you are.

This week we're at #10 in the charts on her 27th week of a 72 week run, with it having debuted at #1 - so I'm obviously very much in the minority for my lack of love for Tina.  The top five this week were the Bowie best-of, Depeche Mode (a new entry), Sinead O'Connor, Nigel Kennedy and The Carpenters (a new entry) and the next highest new entry was, of course, Iron Maiden (#11).

Wikipedia doesn't have as much on the album as I was expecting - it's her seventh solo album (I assumed there would have been millions of them) and was a huge hit in Europe getting to #1 in a load of countries.  It didn't do so well in the US though only getting to #31 - which seems odd because it sounds exactly the sort of thing they like over there.

"Customers also listened to" only album featuring Tina, mostly with Ike but also with Gloria Gaynor and Marvin Gaye - I guess if you like Tina, you really like Tina.  But I don't.

18/03/90 - Nicely nostalgic
01/04/90 - A fine album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves