Can't you see you're my happiness?

Continuing my trip back through the 1957 album charts.

14/07/57 : Close To You - Frank Sinatra 

Four weeks skipped this week - two weeks at the top for TKAI and two weeks for Tommy Steele.  And then we're back to Frank - he's had three of the last five albums but I'm hoping for something better than we had last time.

It's actually pretty similar to last time, but everything just seems to be a step up - he sounds a lot more engaged with the tracks on this.   The sound quality is considerably better, which really can't hurt but he just sounds like he's trying.  It also has a load of strings on it, but they don't get tiresome on this album - or maybe I'm just in more of a mood for some strings today.  I can't say any one track particularly stood out but it all glided past quite nicely.

We're at #4 in the chart this week on his last week of a nine week run, with it having peaked at #2 in its debut week.  The rest of the top five were Tommy SteeleTKAIOklahoma! and yet another Frank offering (a new entry).

Pretty much the only thing that Wikipedia has on the album is that the string arrangement was done by Nelson Riddle (who also did Frank's album last year) - he wasn't massively impressed with his own work but it was generally highly regarded by others and most importantly, as Nelson put it, "Sinatra liked it!".  I am also going to mention that one of the string quartet used was - wait for it - a woman!  I'm sure the fact that she was married to the quartet's leader had nothing to do with her appearance though...

"Customers also listened to" "no similar recommendations" - but I think you can probably guess the sort of the thing we'd see.  I liked this though - it felt like a real return to form after the previous disappointment (even though chronologically this came after that one, so arguably it's just a plain old improvement).

12/05/57 - Not bad at all
18/08/57 - All a bit nothing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves