I've seen lassies with fine looking chassis

Continuing my trip back through the 1957 album charts.

25/08/57 : Frankie - Frank Sinatra 

Wow - five albums in and we're already in August.  I've skipped over ten weeks this time - with the #1 spot during this period being held by Elvis (3 weeks) and Frank (7 weeks).  And, so for a bit of variety - here's Frank again!  It's really not been a great year for the women so far - TKAI is the only album to have featured any.

I actually couldn't find this album but I did find the tracklist and managed to listen to all the tracks from other albums, so I might not have got exactly the same versions but I reckon I got a feel for them.  And he's definitely not so swingin' on this album - it's mostly swoony and croony with lots of strings and some terrible backing singers.  None of it's terrible, but none of it stands out and it all feels very backward looking - particularly when compared with the offerings we've already experienced from him.  I did know "Almost Like Being In Love" but not Frank's version and let me assure you it's no Nat King Cole version.

We're at #5 in the charts on his last week of a seven week run and it never got higher than #3, which seems like a pretty lukewarm response for one of his albums.  And the rest of the chart was Tommy SteeleTKAIOklahoma! and Elvis (a new entry).

Wikipedia doesn't have an entry for the album but his entry does tell me it was a compilation album from 1955, so I guess that explains why it doesn't sound as contemporary as his swingin' albums.  And there's obviously no "customers also listen to" offer as well, so this is rather a short entry - I don't imagine too many people out there will think this album deserves any more though.

18/08/57 - All a bit nothing
10/11/57 - Decidedly odd

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves