A rhyme with class and plenty of clout

Continuing my trip back through the 1990 album charts.

28/10/90 : New Kids On The Block - New Kids On The Block 


I'm not a huge NKOTB fan but I know this isn't their massively popular album, so my expectations aren't massively high.  And no, of course we never owned it (4/10)

Ooooh dear.  This is bad - it reminds me of my last visit with Mr Bieber.  It's mostly horrible synths and nasty falsetto but it's got some dreadful rapping in places as well - the title track stands out for plain awfulness, which is really saying something.  Overall, it's just terrible - avoid this at all costs.  But frankly, the album cover should be enough to put you off...

We're at #6 in the charts with a new entry this week on the start of a ten week run - which coincidentally is exactly ten more weeks than it deserved.  The top five were Paul Simon, Pet Shop Boys (a new entry), Status Quo, The Three Tenors and, quite obviously, Jimi Hendrix and we have one more new entry in the top ten with Technotronic featuring Hi Tek 3 (#9) - and I will not be checking that out.

Wikipedia tells me this is their debut album which was released in '86 and did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at the time.  When Hangin' Tough, their follow-up album blew up in '88, their record label (somewhat cynically, I might suggest) released "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind)" as a single and it worked, with the album hitting #25 and 3 million sales in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Jordan Knight, Joey McIntyre, Donnie Wahlberg and Danny Wood - and you'll never guess what band they were all in.  And I can assure you that on the evidence of this album, I will not be checking any of them out - I really can't stress enough how bloody awful this was.

21/10/90 - I liked this
04/11/90 - A bit too downbeat for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves