Baby, baby, baby - oooh

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

04/04/10 : My World - Justin Bieber

After our third visit with Boyzone, we now have our third visit with Bieber - lucky us, eh?  This is early days Bieber, which is, I believe, when he was at his most annoying - so you can just imagine how much I'm looking forward to it.

Well, some good news is that it's only 37 minutes long - and we're really struggling to find any other good news.  The songs aren't absolutely dreadful, but they're really not great (and VERY repetitive) - they're mostly about how much he's in love with his special girl and she's so much better than all his other girls or how he needs to find his special girl because he's heartbroken.  But he sounds like he's ten - he's one step away from Alvin and The Chipmunks (and I suspect a similar amount of auto-tuning has happened here).  It just set my teeth on edge - so it was a very long 37 minutes.  The absolutely best news was that it was nearly a VERY long 2 hours because Alexa initially offered me up a later version - but I put a swift stop to that as soon as I realised the extreme cruelty she was trying to inflict on me.

We're at #3 in the charts this week on his tenth week of a SIXTY EIGHT week run - this was the highest he got, but he also managed another ten weeks over four more runs, last being seen in 2012.  The rest of the top five were BoyzoneLady Gaga, a Glee monstrosity (but I'd still rather listen to all the Glee albums than have to suffer this again) and Florence.  And we have one more new entry in the top ten with a Free & Bad Company best-of (#10).

Wikipedia has a load of nonsense on the album which I can assure you I didn't read, but I did check out how old he was at the time - a mere sixteen, but still old enough to know better imho.  The critics were surprising kind to the album - "Nearly every song requires some sort of suspension of belief thanks to the lyrics, but if one ignores just what bullshit Bieber is spewing at any given time, My World reveals itself as a largely unobjectionable slice of harmless pop music" is the closest we come to criticism.  The public loved it though (well, the US ten year old female public anyway) - it spent three weeks at #1 over there and has sales recorded as 4 million unit.  Madness, I tell you.

"Customers also listened to" Shawn Mendes (who I find considerably more tolerable), The Chainsmokers, Katy Perry and Carly Rae Jepson - yup, any of them are way better.  I will admit that Justin has done some perfectly acceptable, maybe even good (in some rare instances), stuff in the intervening years but this is just utterly, utterly horrible.  Avoid at all costs.

28/03/10 - I wanted to like it more than I did
11/04/10 - If you like it, then I guess you like it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves