I told them I'm a genius, I had to show them what the meaning is

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

01/09/23 : I Told Them... - Burna Boy 

Our second visit with the lad and last time I see I didn't mind him at all, but I don't remember anything about it, so who knows what I'm going to think about this?

Hmmm - I liked a lot of the sounds and grooves (daddio!) on this, but I don't really know what to make of it as an album because it's just so far out of my frame of reference.  I listened to it when mowing the lawn and I can't help but feel that had I been chilling with a beer and a bbq then it might have been more enjoyable.  It had an overall sunny vibe and I can see there's stuff here that people will love, but I'm not there myself, I'm afraid - and I don't remember any of the tracks in the slightest.

We're at #1 in the charts with a new entry this week - his first #1 album here.  The rest of the top five are Claire Richards (another new entry), The Weeknd - heyyyyy, hold on a goddam minute there.  What did I just say?!?  Claire from Steps is #2!!  

Well I'm intrigued by this - I'm imagining she's either going to have taken the Mel C "surprisingly enjoyable and current" route or the Jane McDonald "what hell on earth is this?" route.  So obviously I have to check it out - ah, she's gone for a completely different route altogether.  It's a album of camp disco covers, which is probably a much wiser route than either of  my suggestions.  And, do you know what - it's really not that bad!  Yes, you do need a fondness for the source material but she certainly doesn't murder them.

So, after that detour, the rest of the top five are Claire Richards, The Weeknd, Taylor Swift and Travis Scott (holding up surprisingly well) and we have three more new entries in the top ten - Digga D (#6 - I bet he's well pissed off that he was whupped by Claire from Steps), Ashnikko (#7 - I know nothing about her) and Alice Cooper (#8 - he's still hanging in there, 59 years after his debut album!).  Last week I guessed that Hozier would drop to #75 and I'm very pleased to say he's only dropped to #23 - well done, dude!  I'm going to guess that Burna Boy is going to drop a similar amount, let's go for #21 and this week's Taylor's stats are two in the top ten, six in the top twenty (including positions #12-#14) and nine in the chart.

Wikipedia tells me it's his seventh album and there are a few guest artists on here - 21 Savage, Dave, J Cole and GZA & RZA, a couple of Wu-Tangers.  And that's pretty much all there is on the album - the sidebar tells us the critics quite liked it, but there's no detail given.  It's done pretty well commercially, but it's only got to #1 over here (but has made it to #2 in The Netherlands).

"Customers also listened to" Olamide, J Hus, Omah lay and Kizz Daniel - I'm quite surprised I've heard of as many as one of them.  I didn't mind Burna Boy, but I just don't know what to do with it - but if I find myself with a beer and a bbq some time soon, then maybe I'll give it another go.

25/08/23 - Perplexing
08/09/23 - Surprisingly uneventful

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves