I don't wear continental clothes and stetson hats

Continuing my trip back through the 1968 album charts.

21/07/68 : Open - Julie Driscoll & The Brian Auger Trinity

My only Julie/Brian knowledge is that she did the theme tune to Ab Fab - and a most peculiar track it is too, so I'm expecting more peculiarness here.

And I both do and don't get said peculiarness - it's an odd one.  The tracks are either perfectly pleasant but anodyne lift music or they're hippy weirdness featuring all sorts of nonsense - and I'm hard pushed to say which ones I preferred.  The whole effect was somewhat jarring - I feel I'd have to listen to it again to say anything more about it and I can assure you that won't be happening.  And that's quite some hairdo she's sporting on the album cover, isn't it?

We're at #12 in the charts this week on their eighth week of a thirteen week run and this was as high as it got.  The top five this week were The Small FacesTCWOABJohn Mayall, Andy Williams and a Jimi Hendrix Experience best-of (one of these things is not like the others), the highest new entry was Tom Jones (#38) and there are no new women involved (I did check but The Mothers Of Invention featured exactly zero actual mothers).

Wikipedia, somewhat surprisingly, has nothing on the album - it gets mentioned in passing in both Julie and Brian's entries, but there's nothing more than that.  And their entries are pretty sparse too - the only interesting facts out there are that they once opened for Led Zeppelin and Julie is still producing albums and was married to Keith Tippett.  None of which you're likely to be dropping into your next dinner party conversation.

"Customers also listened to" The Tony Williams Lifetime, Keef Harley Band, Jack Bruce and Al Kooper - and Jack is the only one out of that lot I've heard of (and I strongly suspect things are gonna stay that way).  I'd say this was an educational listen, but it actually just feels like more of a wildly inconsistent mess so I'm not sure I really learned anything.  I'm sure the kids loved it at the time though...

14/07/68 - Again? So soon?!?
28/07/68 - A bit of a cash-in

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves