She stood there laughing

Continuing my trip back through the 1968 album charts.

27/10/68 : Delilah - Tom Jones

Only just over two months into the year and we've had two visits with Simon & Garfunkel, this is our second visit with Tom and we would have had two visits with The Seekers if I wasn't ignoring best-ofs.  Was there a lack of artists in this year?  Whatever's going on, I'm expecting this to be peak Tom...

Well, it opens with the title track and doesn't really stop - it's all massively over-dramatic, featuring one murder, one suicide, the death of a child and COUNTLESS lost loves.  He definitely gives off a British Elvis vibe - you can really imagine him giving it all in some dodgy club surrounded by couples sat at tables smoking.  It sounds very much of its time and it has dated - an interesting retro listen rather than something I'd specifically choose to listen to.  It's a cool album cover though!

We're at #5 in the charts this week on his fifteenth week of a 29 week run, having peaked at #1 in its third and ninth weeks.  The rest of the top five were The Hollies, The SeekersSimon & Garfunkel and Bee Gees and the highest new entry was Jethro Tull at #23, with the only other one being José Feliciano at #28.

Wikipedia has two whole sentences on the album - it's his sixth album and it got to #1 (and it also got to #1 in Norway and #2 in Germany).  To make up for the lack of Wikifacts, I read up on the title track and found this gem - when Tom sang the song on The Ed Sullivan show, the censors tried to get him to change the lyrics.  But not the ones about the singer killing her, they objected to "at break of day when the man drove away" because this suggests that the other guy spent the night with her - shocking!  Tom amusingly stood his ground and declared the whole thing to be "utter bullshit" (admit it - you read that in a Welsh accent).

There's also an interesting section on the Welsh Rugby Union banning the song - I can see both sides of the argument but can't quite decide which I agree with most, so I'm just going to include a couple of quotes.  Nick Cave, after hearing a version from a male voice choir, stated "I'm sorry to report that listening to this did make me feel like murdering someone, primarily the choir" but I think Richard Marx probably comes closest to reflecting my view with "I am not remotely minimising violence, or especially violence against women, but there are a lot of things that we all could be doing to help the situation, other than banning Delilah".

"Customers also listened to" Engelbert Humperdinck (who we'll be seeing soon), Shirley Bassey and Dusty Springfield (I hope we get to see some more of her).  It was nice seeing some vintage Tom though - I'll not be rushing back to it but it was entertaining.

20/10/68 - And there was me thinking Tom sounded dated
03/11/68 - Short but sweet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves