All my bare wires are alive

Continuing my trip back through the 1968 album charts.

01/09/68 : Bare Wires - John Mayall Bluesbreakers

I've heard of John and I'm guessing this will be blues-y (the clue's in the name!) - but recent experience has shown that blues-y covers a whole world of sounds, so who knows what we're getting here!  And, interestingly, we're having to go to YouTube to get it because it's not available in any of the usual locations.

And well - it is indeed blues-y, but a different kind of blues-y again.  This feels very English blues, with tinges of folk and country in there - I can't say I liked it, but unlike Fleetwood Mac's effort I didn't get bored with it and there's obviously a decent amount of skill in there.  I'd like to describe it better to you, but I'm afraid it's just beyond my powers of description - it was an interesting listen though.  And, once again, it's an "interesting" album cover!

We're at #9 in the charts this week on their eighth week of a seventeen week run, having peaked at #3 in its second week - waaaay more than I was expecting.  The top five are Simon & GarfunkelTom Jones, The Hollies, Cream (the double album, with the single album at #9) and Engelbert, the highest new entry was Fleetwood Mac's dreadful album (#26) and we have YET ANOTHER woman named in the charts - Julie Driscoll, who I didn't think I knew but I actually did because she sang the theme tune to Ab Fab (a cover of Bob Dylan's "This Wheel's On Fire") and a very odd tune it is too.  So the running count is now 7 named and 6 featured - we've almost caught up with 1973!

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album, but it does tell us that, from the previous album, the band changed the bassist and the drummer and it includes "more jazz references than usual".  And lordy, it got to #1 in France - and #59 in the US (which sounds less impressive, but probably involves more sales).  Wikipedia also tells me that he's still with us at the grand old age of 89 and he released his latest album last year - 1968 seems to have more survivors than 1973 managed!

"Customers also listened to" - well, I can't tell you because the album isn't anywhere but I imagine some of the albums we've had recently might well be on the list.  As I said, I can't say I liked it but it did somehow hold my interest.

25/08/68 - A swift repeat visit
08/09/68 - Utterly bonkers, but obviously influential

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves