When I'm fallin' down will you pick me up again?

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

30/05/10 : Immersion - Pendulum

I always think Pendulum are heavy types, but checking out our previous visit (our third second visit in a row) they're more drum and bass-y types, which I found surprisingly enjoyable last time - so here's hoping for another pleasant surprise.

Yup, it's very drum and bass-y indeed - it didn't feel quite right for a lazy bank holiday morning but I can hardly blame them for that now, can I?  There would definitely be a time and a place for this, but they're getting rarer and rarer as I get older, I'm afraid.  It won't be to everyone's taste (it's not one Mrs Reed will be rushing to) but I didn't mind it at all and, whilst I'd struggle to say any one track jumped out at me, it wasn't nearly as samey as these things sometimes sound - particularly "Self vs Self" which is actually pretty heavy (and Wikipedia tells me this is because of the presence of In Flames, the Swedish metal group).

We're at a somewhat surprising #1 in the charts with a new entry this week starting an equally surprising 21 week run - after which it took a couple of months off before coming back for another ten week run.  The rest of the top five were Michael Bublé (up from #19 the previous week), Glee (a new entry), Katie Melua (another new entry) and, obviously, The Rolling Stones with an album from 1972.  That was it for new entries in the top ten with the next one being Stornaway (#14) who I remember I used to quite like back in the day but couldn't tell anything about them now.

Wikipedia has very little on the album - it's their third one and, in addition to In Flames, it also features collaborations with Steven Wilson (Pineapple Tree dude) and Liam Howlett (Prodigy dude).  It also informs me that I'm very pleased that, for a change, Amazon didn't serve me up the deluxe version because it's nearly two hours long and features NINE different versions of "The Island".  There's no comment on the critical reception - commercially it did well here and in Australia and New Zealand, but didn't overly trouble any other charts.

"Customers also listened to" Modestep, Hadouken!, Metrik and The Qemists - ah yes, that lot.  Drum and bass is a sound I know very little about, but I don't mind it in small doses - normally more than that gets a bit tiresome, so well done Pendulum for keeping my interest for another album.  It won't be for everyone though.

23/05/10 - Not their finest hour
06/06/10 - Why do so many people love this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves