You better bring your buckets - we've got some dreams to drain

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

06/06/10 : To The Sea - Jack Johnson

So we follow up our second visit with Xtina with our second visit with Jack - and I'm very much expecting this to be similar to his previous outing, which was a very lightweight offering indeed.

There's maybe a bit more to this - he attempts to rock it out slightly more at times rather than always lazing around on the beach strumming his guitar, but it's still bang average for me, I'm afraid.  Yeah, at least it's harmless and would be pleasant enough on a sunny day - but that's no reason to actually listen to it.

We're at #1 in the charts this week with a new entry at the start of a ten week run that it most definitely didn't deserve.  The rest of the top five are Michael Bublé, Glee, Pendulum and Alicia Keys - there's variety there and no mistake.  We've got one more new entry in the top ten with the RAF Squadronaires (#9), closely followed by a Glenn Miller best-of (#11) - the oldies were out album-buying in force this week.  I'm going to mention The Divine Comedy (#20) as well for the excellently titled Bang Goes The Knighthood.

Wikipedia tells us this is his fifth album and he at least backed up his environmentally friendly platform by recording it at his solar-powered studios (although I suspect the energy involved in recording is somewhat dwarfed by that required to press and distribute the music).  The critical reception was a somewhat bewildering "it's good, considering there's nothing to it" - the BBC dude said "should he ever stretch himself as a musician the results could be fascinating...but right now he's operating in a comfort zone that should guarantee continued commercial success".  And it very much did, selling over a million copies globally and getting to #1 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Taj Mahal, ALO, Donavan Frankenreiter (crazy name, crazy guy!) and Matt Costa - all of whom I can tell you absolutely nothing about in the slightest.   As I wish was the case for Jack Johnson - I don't hate it but, for me, there's just nothing here to justify anyone paying it any attention.

30/05/10 - I didn't mind this at all
13/06/10 - I think I quite liked this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves