One more night and then I'm gone

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

28/03/10 : Head First - Goldfrapp

I have, in my time, enjoyed a bit of Goldfrapp - although I preferred their earlier stuff.  And whilst that sounds like a pretentious muso thing to say (mostly because it is), here it's more acceptable than most because Felt Mountain, their debut album was a kind of ambient chill kinda thang but after that on Black Cherry, they glammed things up a bit - it was still fine, but not so much my sorta thing.  I lost touch with them after that though, so I'm happy to give this a go - it's more than possible she/they have taken another swerve into uncharted territory.

It's more BC than FM, but not quite as glam - it didn't quite grab me on first listen, although I did quite like "Hunt".  It might be a grower, but it doesn't feel like it - she's got a nice voice and it's pleasant enough to have on in the background but I struggle to imagine too many actively seeking it out.  I feel I should have more to say about this, but inspiration is failing to strike - it was nice to listen to something slightly unexpected, but basically it's fine.

We've made it out of the top five this week, being at #6 with a new entry at the start of a six week run.  The top five were BoyzoneGaga, Bieber, Laura Marling (a new entry) and a Glee collection and the next highest new entry was Joe Bonamassa at #14.

Wikipedia has more than you'd expect (129 milliPeppers) for not the best known album ever - and there's actually some interesting content in there.  At the time they were full of "yeah - we love this album", but after signing to another record label, the complaints about "executive control overriding creative process" started to come out - it doesn't sound like it was the most fun they'd had.  The critics were mostly pretty positive about it, although some did make the interesting point that they were now following the La Rouxs and the Little Boots that they'd originally inspired - which seems a valid point to me.  It actually did better commercially than I was expecting - top forty in quite a few countries and even hitting the heights of #45 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Roisin Murphy (yes, this is definitely on the same lines), Sophie Ellis-Bexter (not so much), The Ting Tings and Saint Etienne.  I quite like Goldfrapp and their artistic vibe but this album didn't quite hit the spot for me, I'm afraid.

21/03/10 - A fine album indeed
04/04/10 - Please - just make it stop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves