Little black butterflies deep inside me

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

24/01/10 : Turn It Up - Pixie Lott

Pixie is another one of those random female singer-songwriters who was always being mentioned around this time without me ever be aware of any of her songs.  I think she's on the poppier side of things, but I'm not entirely sure...

Yeah, on the poppier side of things would be a fair enough comment.  None of it's horrible and some of the songs are pretty catchy, but I'd struggle to describe it as memorable.  I was often reminded of Girls Aloud or Little Mix - I thought that some of the songs would have benefited from having more than one voice on them.  Apart from that, I've got nothing!

We're at #7 in the charts this week on her 18th week of a frankly astonishing 84 week run, with it having peaked at #6 in its debut week.  84 weeks!  The top five this week were FlorencePaolo, Lostprophets (a new entry which I didn't have to decide whether to listen to or not, since it's not available anywhere), Bieber (another new entry) and Gaga - that's it for new entries until we get to Eels (#21).

Wikipedia has more than I was expecting on the album, but most of it just talks about the singles.  Apparently, the lead single "Mama Do (Uh Oh, Uh Oh)" debuted at #1 leading us to the fascinating fact that Pixie was "the second British female solo artist to have a debut single enter atop the chart without previously appearing on a reality television show" - ten points if you can name the first (you can have a clue - it was in '98).  Back to Pixie, the critics were kinda mixed on the album - I feel The Telegraph got it right with "fun and feisty but hard to distinguish from the rest of this year's girl pop pack".  It sold moderately across Europe, but it was only over here that we really went mad for it.

"Customers also listened to" Cheryl Cole, Alesha Dixon, Diana Vickers and Girls Aloud - yup, they're all definitely in the same area.  It's not really aimed at me - I found it perfectly listenable, but struggled to remember any of it the minute I'd finished with it.

And you get ten points if you remembered it was Billie Piper!

17/01/10 - Much better than I remembered
31/01/10 - One that hit the sweet spot


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves