I ain't no superman - I don't profess to be

Continuing my trip back through the 2006 album charts.

24/09/06 : The Truth About Love - Lemar

I remember Lamar doing well on some musical reality show (Fame Academy, Wikipedia tells me) and being around for longer afterwards than you might expect, but other than knowing he was pretty soulful R&B I couldn't tell you a thing about his music.  I'm expecting "perfectly tolerable" to cover it.

But actually, I think "surprisingly good" covers it.  No, it's not going to change the world or challenge anyone's preconceptions but they are decent enough tracks and he's got a lovely voice.  It would definitely benefit from better weather, but I don't feel like I can blame him for that - if you're in the mood for some pretty soulful R&B then I think this will hit the spot nicely.

We're at #5 this week on his second week of a 29 week run, having peaked at #3 in his opening week - a good effort by the lad.  The rest of the top five are Scissor Sisters (a new entry), The Fratellis, Justin Timberlake and Snow Patrol with one more new entry in the top ten for Elton John (another name that pops up most years) at #6.

Wikipedia has an entry for the album that basically says that it exists and it did OK - apparently it's his third album and was the last one to seriously bother the charts, but he kept going until 2015 before he accepted defeat and appeared on Dancing on Ice (and yes, I'm sure this is very unfair of me!).

"Customers also listened to" Conner Reeves, Lyndon David Hall and Beverley Knight - I'm not aware of the first two but if they don't make soulful R&B I'll be very surprised.  It's certainly not my initial go-to music style, but I thought this album was surprisingly enjoyable and a welcome change from most of the dross that graduated out of TV musical competition shows. 

17/09/06 - A pleasantly nostalgic album
01/10/06 - Impressive, but not particularly enjoyable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves