I don't feel like dancin' when the old Joanna plays

Continuing my trip back through the 2006 album charts.

03/12/06 : Ta-Dah - Scissor Sisters

I didn't mind Scissor Sisters - they were having fun and not causing any harm, so I was pleased for them.  But I never really "got" them - it was "fine" but lots of people seemed to think they were just the best thing ever.  Maybe this album will be the point at which I see the light?

Well.  No.  It's "fine".  It opens with "I Don't Feel Like Dancing" which is a very decent slice of Bee Gees, but most of the rest of it is less decent - not terrible, just not particularly interesting.  Except for "I Can't Decide" which sounds worryingly like Brotherhood Of Man (nobody needs that) and "Intermission" is pretty odd as well.  To balance those out, I also liked "The Other Side" - it's got quite a Japan feel to it.  There's a bit more variety across the album than I was expecting, but it's not exactly crossing too many genres.  Basically, it's "fine" - but it's another one "we" owned, bringing us up to three for the year.

This week we're at #13 on its eleventh week of a 54 week run, having spent its first two weeks at #1.  The top five this week are Take That (a new entry), Il Divo (ditto), Oasis, Westlife and The Beatles - that's a very karaoke-heavy top five.  The next new entry is amusingly Katie Price and Peter Andre's joint album (#20) - I came closer to listening to that than I care to imagine (or at least rejecting the offer to do so, anyway).

Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album other than telling me that Elton John played piano on "I Don't Feel..." which I never knew.  The critics were very mixed on the album, with my favourite comment being "despite its title, Ta-Dah offers few surprises".  The public didn't really care though, particularly over here with it being the third best selling album of the year - which means we've already seen the top three and we haven't made it out of December yet!  It was also the 60th best selling album of 2007, so it showed considerably more longevity than I was expecting.

"Customers also listened to" The Hoosiers, Kaiser Chiefs, MIKA and They Might Be Giants - which is an odd mix to say the least.  I remain unconvinced about Scissor Sisters though - it's fun, frivolous and harmless, but I don't see it's as great as everyone thinks it is.

26/11/06 - A mystifyingly successful album
10/12/06 - I didn't remember this being so successful

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves