Won't you wait another hour or two?

      

Continuing my trip down The Guardian's top 50 albums of 2022

#4 : Crash - Charli XCX


On Charli XCX’s fifth album – and last on the contract she signed with Atlantic aged 16 – she temporarily sidelined the mutant vision behind Pop 2 and Vroom Vroom to embrace every trapping the label had to offer, “to make a major-label album in the major label way”. Before you call Charli a “sellout”, know that she’d only take it as a compliment: “You say I’m turning evil / I’ll say I’m finally pure,” as she sings on the housey kiss-off Used to Know Me. Crash works because the one-time mainstream refusenik commits so wholeheartedly to the big-ticket concept – there are deliciously villainous anthems that strut on punishing gothic synths, flesh-slapping boogie and Cameo-worthy guitar sleaze – and you can tell she’s enjoying it.


Our seventh previous visit (and not even close to being our last) and I enjoyed this when I met it back in May.  I haven't revisited it as an album, but I've listened to a few tracks from time to time throughout the year and I also saw her live, so I reckon she can be pleased with her contribution to my year.  


Since it's in the top five, I listened to it again and yeah, it's still pretty good.  It's gives off a very Halsey-like vibe, particularly "Beg For You" which I always think is by her - "What You Want" and "Good Ones" also stand out for me.  A phrase I learned from The Guardian's description of Tove Lo was "death drive" which they used in relation to Charli and it's very appropriate here, with her definitely being "drawn to repeat painful or traumatic events" - but in a very musically pleasing way!


Having debuted at #1, it only managed four weeks on the chart - it feels like it deserved a bit more because there are some proper tunes on this album.   Wikipedia tells us it managed to get to #7 in the US and did pretty well globally and it also features on a load of "best of 2020" lists.  I'd have to say I'm perfectly happy to see it at #4 in this list - it won't be for everyone but if you like this kind of thing, then this is a good example. 

#5 - Yeah, I liked this
#3 - Not as strong as I remembered

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves