I know temptation is the devil in disguise

       

Continuing my trip down The Guardian's top 50 albums of 2022

#3 : Dawn FM - The Weeknd


Dawn FM is the Dom Pérignon of male manipulator music – a slick of negging and neediness, sleaze and sanctimony that carries the unnatural, alluring glow of toxic waste. Released without fanfare on the first week of the year and still as luridly spectacular 40-odd weeks later, Abel Tesfaye’s fifth album as the Weeknd is also his most dazzlingly deranged, juxtaposing Rilke citations, Jim Carrey narration and a cameo from indie film-maker Josh Safdie with a hallucinatory vortex of disco, R&B, electro, EDM and hip-hop. Once known for his bloody-minded pursuit of one ultra-specific vibe, here Tesfaye proves he has far more in him than meets the eye; it confirms his status as one of our greatest living stars, an auteur with inspiration and idiosyncrasy to burn.


Our eighth previous visit (and we're STILL not finished) and I found this to be surprisingly enjoyable when I met it back in January.  Revisiting it, I still thought it was OK but not quite as strong as I remembered it being - it's maybe a bit too self-consciously quirky (or "dazzingly deranged", as The Guardian puts it) for me, but it's certainly an interesting listen.  Having listened to After Hours in the intervening period, that one certainly has more obvious high points - "Take My Breath" only really stands out here, but the album as a whole is worth a visit if you've not heard it.


It's fair to say it's done pretty well in the charts since its release - it had a 32 week run but has had another six weeks on and off since and is still hanging around there at #69 as we speak.  Wikipedia tells me that if you really like this, there's an additional TV special - I'm pretty certain I can live without that.  As I can live without this, but I also won't avoid it if I find our paths crossing again at some point.  This wouldn't have been my selection for #3 of the year, but I'm not unhappy to see it there...

#4 - Yeah, I liked this one too
#2 - So many hmmms

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves