Who do you love?

The latest in an occasional series of play reviews...

Orlando : The Garrick Theatre

I hmmm-ed and haah-ed about going to see this one - I'd heard Emma Corrin was good in The Crown, but seeing as I've only watched half an episode I haven't quite made it far enough in for them (look at me and my correct pronoun usage!) making an appearance as Lady Di.  I was also aware that Virginia Woolf's book is considered a classic - but that didn't mean I knew the faintest thing about it.  But then I had a whole £7 left on a theatre voucher that had to be spent in the next week and this was the only thing that I fancied seeing (that I hadn't already booked) - so I was convinced!

And after having waited in the freezing cold (literally) for 15 minutes because (for no apparent reason) they didn't open the doors until 45 minutes before the show started, I took my seat in front of a somewhat intriguing stage...

And then, as the play starts, a women dressed as a librarian (sensible blouse and long skirt) comes and silently sits at the table, followed by a succession of eight other characters, mostly but not all women, dressed in the same costume - all of whom take their place at one of the objects on stage.  There then follows some very well synchronised dialogue which questions everyone's place in reality (if such a thing really exists) and ends with them all staring at the audience in a very intimidating fashion.

At some point during this, it has been explained that they are all Virginia Woolf and they then introduce Orlando (Emma Corrin) on stage - at which point the Virginias all clear off, taking most of the scenery with them and proceedings are interrupted by the wardrobe mistress, who dresses Orlando as a 15 year old boy from 1598 (or thereabouts - I wasn't taking notes).  And that's the entire cast - Orlando, nine Virginias and an East End busy-body - the Virginias do dress up as other characters at times, but there's generally two or three of them still floating about on stage as Virginia at any one time.  All of which has the potential to be confusing, but it's handled well.

The play basically then follows Orlando through selected highlights of the next 350 years of history as he (or she when they change sex half way through the play) struggles to understand, well, the nature of everything I guess, with questions around love and sexual identity coming to the fore.  And that's probably all you need to know.

It's very much Emma's play to own and they are very good in the role - it has many facets to it and they portray the different aspects well.  And what was the bit that impressed me most?  At one point they're standing on a bed which is being rotated quickly by several of the Virginias and they have a 30 second speech which they deliver facing the stage at all times.  It's safe to say I would not manage this quite as well at this as they do - but I would also say that there are other bits to the play that you may be slightly more impressed with.

The only other character I can comment on is Deborah Findley as the wardrobe mistress (Mrs Grimsditch apparently) - she starts off as a one-note character but the role expands as the play progresses and she handles it well.  All the Virginias do a good job but I'd struggle to pick any one out of the crowd - except for the tall man.

I'm not aware of the original book, but I'm not convinced this adaptation is entirely faithful (I doubt that nine Virginias roam the pages) but let's just assume that it sticks to the spirit - a lot of which feels pretty relevant for these times, which is all the more surprising given the novel was published in 1928.  Another way that the play has been updated is the inclusion of modern references, most of which work well and add a surprising amount of humour - I even found myself laughing at times (and I'm a much more demanding customer than your average theatre audience member when it comes to laughing).

I knew I'd been to The Garrick before but couldn't remember for the life of me what it was for - a quick internet search tells me it was Horrible Histories, which was not theatre's finest hour.  It's a nice enough theatre - smaller than I remember, but with a decent enough view from the cheap seats.  My only quibble was not being allowed in until 45 minutes before the start of the show - you'd have thought they'd have let us into the bar to spend money at least!

All in all, this was a good night out - short and sweet, being 90 minutes with no interval.  It manages to be both serious and light-hearted, asking and at least partially answering deep questions, whilst not ignoring the potential for humour.  It also uses some impressive theatricality at times (without being too "oooh, look at me") and the performances are top-notch, with Emma Corrin giving us her all.

And that's it for me for 2022, with Jerusalem and My Neighbour Totoro being easily the best things for me and The Seagull being, shall we say, the most challenging in terms of potential for enjoyment (or maybe disappointing in the choices made would be more accurate).  And I've got 4 or 5 shows booked for next year already, so you can expect more words of artistic wisdom from me in the new year - I bet you can't wait!

My Neighbour Totoro - just incredible
Derren Brown - Showman - a most entertaining evening

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves