Simply the best use of our time

The latest in an occasional series of play reviews...

My Neighbour Totoro : The Barbican Theatre

I saw this advertised early on and booked it because I was intrigued as to how they'd do it on stage - and it was a good job I booked it early because it set the record for fastest selling play at The Barbican (beating Benedict Cumberbatch's Hamlet, so that gives you an idea as to exactly how well it sold).  And the reviews were very positive, so I was very much anticipating an enjoyable evening out.

So, coming in to the theatre, the curtain's down and I'm annoyed I didn't take a picture, but I had no idea of knowing what was coming next.  There's a simple logo on the curtain with a couple of clouds (or something) and the caption "My Neighbor Totoro" - and then it all starts jiggling about.  And then animated spiders start crawling all over the curtain and a "u" appears from the top and bumps its way into "Neighbour".  The effect is something that could easily be knocked up with an animation package in 5 minutes, but it's not projected onto the curtain - it's actual letters and spiders moving about.  And then this drives on to the stage..


The story of the play is pretty slight - a dad and his two daughters move from Tokyo into the countryside to be closer to the mother who is sick in hospital.  And as part of the move, they meet new people - and new things.  And well, that's pretty much it.

Dai Tabuchi plays Tatsuo, the dad, and does a perfectly acceptable job in trying to corral the kids, but it's not really a role that's designing to shine.  That responsibility falls on Ami Okumura Jones and Mei Max as the daughters, Satsuki and Mei - and they very much step up to the mark.  Satsuki is the older sister trying to hold it all together whilst she tries to fit in to the new environment with all the worries she has and Mei is the younger ("I'm FOUR!") out to explore her new world with a sense of wonder.

And the new world is conveyed very impressively through a rotating stage and a very clever set, which uses large components to create a combination of various houses and forest scenes.  It's not overstating the case to call some of what goes on set choreography - I struggle to understand the sort of mind that can envisage such things!  It's all very impressive, but you soon get blasé about it because...

...however good the sets are, they are NOTHING compared to the puppetry that goes on in this show.  Omg - it's AMAZING!  I'm not going to describe it any more than that because if you're lucky enough to see this then you're best off coming to it without expectations - but there are times when the audience gasp and applaud at what they're seeing.  It's just soooo good - the puppeteers are just incredible.

So, because I'm not telling you anything about the major component of the show, this is actually quite a short review - but basically it's a fantastic show.  It's child friendly (and I saw a family leaving with two young-ish kids and envied them their discussions on the way home) but has enough magic for adults to gaze on in childish wonder whilst also admiring the technical wizardry and creative artistry on show.  The run is currently sold out - if you've got tickets then you're in for a treat - and if it gets extended, then try to get tickets.  I loved it - it's easily the best thing I've seen this year (and I saw Jerusalem!)

To Kill A Mockingbird - a fine evening out
Orlando - short but sweet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves