Sticks and stones, chrome on chrome

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

11/11/22 : Her Loss - Drake & 21 Savage


Well, I've yet to meet Mr Savage but my previous experiences with Drake have been ho-hum enough for me to be metaphorically rolling my eyes at this one - I just don't see the appeal, I'm afraid.

And, oh dear.  Oh deary-dear indeed.  As well as the usual mystifying mediocrity of it all, this is also crammed full of dubious lyrics - with them effing all them n bees, whether they want it or not.  A good example of my problem with this album is the lyric "I blow half a million on you hos - I'm a feminist" - I just can't even decide where to start with that.  Yes, they can come out with the "it's all an act" argument (and I'm not even entirely sure they would) but you can be sure the vast majority of their audience are not even considering that possibility.  Yes, some of the bleeps are nice enough but I'm afraid I just don't have any time for this.

Depressingly, we're at #1 with a new entry on both sides of the Atlantic - so who cares what I think , eh?  Hopefully it won't hang around for weeks because I'll get very grumpy, I can tell you.  The rest of the top five are Taylor, First Aid Kit (a new entry which I listened to of my own free will, and is very enjoyable), Luke Evans (another new entry and I'm intrigued as to where his singing career has come from, but he seems like a nice guy) and Harry (he's back!).  That's it for new entries for the top ten - the next one is Joji (#13) and I was intrigued as to what kind of music he/she/they might produce.  Wikipedia tells me he's a Japanese singer/songwriter/rapper/comedian/YouTuber previously known as Filthy Frank and Pink Guy - so I hope that clears that up for you.

Back to Drake (yes, we have to), Wikipedia has a depressing amount on the album already, most of which I skimmed over but I did like the Controversy section - that and Feuds are always my favourite!  It basically tells us Drake has spent a lot of time promoting the album telling other celebs they smell like poo and their mum works in McDonalds - one critic tells us that this made Drake "unintentionally reveal himself as a self-centered jerk who refuses to grow up".  It also tells us that they handed out fake Vogue covers promoting the album - which has, of course, resulted in Condé Nast suing them, which just means the whole thing will drag on and give more publicity for everyone.  Sigh.

"Customers also listened to" "no similar recommendations" - no idea what's going on with Amazon there, but I can assure you I don't care enough to follow it up.  You know the sort of thing anyway - and if you don't then you shouldn't be coming to me for recommendations.  I find the whole thing incredibly depressing - you're perfectly welcome to like it, but you're welcome to it.

04/11/22 - Not exactly bringing anything new to the party
18/11/22 - Perfectly fine unless you hate this sort of thing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves