Bringing cheer into your life

 


It's cold.  It's wet.  It's dark.  I just wish there was some way to add cheer to my life.  Maybe something like writing up how ridiculous The Guardian's suggestions are on that very subject would hit the spot nicely...

1. Start Christmas early
Christmas is hard work in the Reed household - there are something like 15 heavy boxes that have to come down from upstairs.  But, there's no doubt that Christmas adds cheer to the place and starting it a couple of weeks early doesn't seem like the worst thing you could do.  But I can't say I feel the need right now.

2. Have a fondue
"Unfairly viewed as naff and dated, fondues are overdue a revival" says The Guardian.  "Just no" says me.  Surely the washing up is a nightmare as well?

3. Go electric
Go on - guess.  Apparently you should "d
iscover the life-changing power of an electric blanket" - that doesn't sound very cost-of-living-crisis friendly to me.  What's wrong with a normal blanket?

4. Frighten yourself senseless
Aka watch scary films.  It doesn't work for me, but I'm loving The Guardian's justification for this - "people can learn how to escape dangerous predators, navigate novel social situations, and practise their mind-reading and emotional regulation skills".  And what cheers you up more than escaping dangerous predators?

5. Turn to jelly
I agree with this - break out the Hartleys, eat a couple of cubes "raw", microwave up the rest of it and hang around the fridge waiting for it to set, before losing patience and just eating it as a thick jelly soup.  Well, I say I agree with it, but of course The Guardian tells me I have to buy a vintage Victorian jelly mould and add some edible flowers - they really know how to spoil simple fun, don't they?

6. Grow a beard
Looking in the mirror, I can't really argue with this - although I'd say it's more "not shaving" than "growing a beard".  But once again The Guardian has to spoil things by suggesting that everyone buys you beard oil for Xmas - anyone doing this for me will be going on Santa's naughty list.

7. Walk with an audio book
I feel I should try this - I've never gone down the audio book route.  My concern is that I lose my place in a book pretty easily and I'm not sure how easy it is to back up.  I also love a good podcast - Adam Buxton is the king of the podcast for me and his recent ramble chat with Richard E Grant was up there with the very best, being at times touching, thoughtful, serious, scurrilous and trivial.  So maybe I'll just stick with that.

8. Draw freely like a child
Fine if you want to, but I really don't see the point.  So maybe I should try it - but I won't.

9. Relish the shorter days
By this, they mean "start drinking earlier".  Oh well, if you insist.

10. Help a friend move
Is this going to add cheer to my life?  No, I don't think it will.  I suspect someone at The Guardian is moving house and needs some help..

It's an audiobook with jelly and an early glass of wine for me - any recommendations gratefully received.  I usually go for lime jelly with a nice Rioja...

#51-60 : Planting things, buying spices and Richard Rogers' socks
#11-20 : Walking backwards whilst reading Dickens

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves