Why is no-one taking pictures of my sock drawer?

 


What have The Guardian got for us today then? 

51. Find one practical way to make a difference
This is sage advice about how starting one small thing often snowballs into something bigger - but I'm not sure it's guaranteed to make you happier.  Busier, yes - but happier?  Well...

52. Posh up your toast
Amazingly, The Guardian doesn't mention avocado - yes, their suggestions are far worse.  Olive oil, a rub of garlic and a few tomatoes anyone?  A chunky (and preferably not orange) marmalade does the trick for me - but each to their own, I guess.

53. Literally count your blessings
Yeah, it's telling you write them down and count them up.  Which I guess might work, provided you have some.

54. If you wear glasses, attach a chain
I'm intrigued by this one because I've worn glasses for coming up to 50 years now and at no point have I EVER felt the need for a chain.  And I imagine it would really annoy me - so why would anyone suggest it would make me happier?  Answers on a postcard please...

55. ‘Double’ the size of your garden with a mirror
Seriously?  I can imagine the effect may be impressive on day one, but once it's covered in all the stuff that things in the garden get covered in - well, just no.  Either that or you have to clean it all the time - is that going to make you happier?

56. Plant one (manageable) thing and tend to it
Nothing wrong with this, but I enjoy the challenge of planting many, often less manageable, things that require planning both in terms of timelines and space management.  And yes, it makes me happier.

57. Beanbags are back
No, they're not.

58. Arrange your socks like the late Richard Rogers
You think this is a mad suggestion, right?  Well, just wait until you read the original article - basically a couple went out for a walk, needed the loo, so broke into Richard Rogers' house whilst he was away (journalistic licence involved), snooped around, took a picture of his sock drawer, blew it up much larger and hung it on their office wall.  And no, I'm not making this up.

59. Stock up on your spices
Star anise, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, nutmeg and chillies are recommended, but other spices are available.  I'm a big fan of Sichuan pepper myself.

60. Film an entire party on your phone
To be honest, it's hard to imagine this ending well...

Well, there are more than a few left-field suggestions here, to say the least (pretty much like the rest of the list) - planting things, buying spices and Richard Rogers' socks win for me.  And that's it for us this time - until the next mad Guardian list comes along to vastly improve your life.

Keep smiling, people

#41-50 : Waving monsters, false eyelashes and making playlists
#1-10 : Grow a beard whilst making a jelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves