You make me a complete mess

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

30/09/22 : 5SOS5 - 5 Seconds Of Summer


Somewhat unexpectedly (for me, at least), this is our second visit with the lads.  Last time I decided it wasn't for me, but I wasn't too harsh on it - so let's see what we've got this time.

Well - them boys do some swearing now.  And they take some drugs now!  So they've got to be proper interesting, right?  Ah, no - this is such a dull album.  I mean - really, really dull,  All the songs sound exactly the same - I appreciate that might be what their fans are looking for and, if it is, then they're super welcome to it.  But I've no idea why ANYONE would want this.  Yes, I'm old.

We''re are #1 in the charts with a new entry this week - I'd like to think it won't hang around for long, but there's no point in me trying to guess this things.  But, it's interesting to compare this with Harry's album (#3 this week) - I didn't love that, but at least I could see he was trying.  Whereas this is just shite.  In my humble opinion - others may disagree, I guess.  The rest of the top five are D-Block Europe (another new entry, but having seen them at Reading I've no desire to listen to this), Sports Team (another new entry, who we've met before surprisingly), Harry (yes, he's back) and Mark Owen (who I can also do without - and I really wonder why he bothers).  That's enough new entries for the top ten, surely - NO, we've also got Editors at #10 (who I don't mind when I'm in the mood for them)!  For some particularly unclear reason, I scanned the lower reaches of the charts this week and was amazed to see Marina have a re-entry at #42 with Electra Heart, which is an album I have an interesting relationship with.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album, but the critical reception section is interesting because one critic said "much of the album brings to mind the Weeknd's distinctive brand of atmospheric pop" and I have to admit some songs brought Mr Weeknd to mind - but only in a "they really want to be him, but they so ain't" kinda way.  The album's been depressingly successful globally though.

"Customers also listened to" Charlie Puth, Ali Gattie and Bella Poarch - I've heard of the first one at least and can't say I'm a massive fan.  But he's got to be better than this lot - it's really very boring and bland indeed.  I'm sure they can live with me not loving it though.

23/09/22 - A bumper bundle!
07/10/22 - A complete surprise

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves