I guess I'll have to unhook those hooks

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.12.14 : The Puzzle - Devin Townsend (2021)

Released on December 3rd, this is the newest album on the list this year and it's one that Chris has been eagerly awaiting I can tell you.  Partly to hear it, but mostly to hear my opinion of it.  And he had to wait for it because I rudely decided that sorting out my heating was more important, but once that was all sorted, I settled down to listen to it in all its glory.

So.  I got to the end.  And.  Well.  Hmmm.  I didn't hate it and there are some particularly fine sounds in places, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with it in its entirety.  It reminded me of two things - one from the old days, which was listening to the radio (particularly on AM at night) and deciding you needed to change the station and in turning the dial you got instantly hit with a million different languages and sounds.  The other thing it reminded me of is being in the room with my daughter when she's watching TikTok videos - five seconds of nonsense and we're on to something else (and I don't understand that either).  I can appreciate that an immense amount of effort has gone into creating this seemingly haphazard effect - however I cannot for the live of me understand why.  But I know it has its fan.

I think we can safely say it's a puzzle indeed - I'm almost tempted to try Snuggles its companion album, if only for its name alone.  The channel gave it five chaoses, two hearts, some love and some bemusement.  Wikipedia explains it all to me - The Puzzle is a more chaotic version of Snuggles and Snuggles is a more ambient version of The Puzzle.  I don't know what I'd do without them, I can tell you.  They're also a prelude to his next "more traditional" album and an "ambitious project" - I bet Chris can't wait!

"Customers also listened to" a million albums that in some way feature Devin Townsend - and even then it's only scratching the surface of his output.  He's obviously a talented guy, but I have to admit I've not found my "in" into his work yet.

21.12.15 : Drink The Sea - The Glitch Mob (2010)


Not one I was previously aware of - and I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting from the name either.  But I really liked it - it was right up my street.

I was just thinking "the only way this could be improved is by the addition of some warbly female vocals".  And then "Between Two Points" came on.  Yeah I like this.

The channel gave it three thumbs up, two hearts and one positive comment.  Wikipedia tells us it was released and a few people bought it in the US and that's about it.  So, I checked out their entry and it's not exactly much more comprehensive, but it does tell me they're still going and they have ""have undoubtedly found the largest audience of any L.A. beat scene artist yet".  So well done them!

"Customers also listened to" Röyksopp and Ronald Jenkees - an odd pair, to say the least.  I really liked this though - will definitely make an effort to check out some more of their stuff.

21.12.16 : Deep Down Happy - Sports Team (2020)


This one had completely passed me by as well and five seconds in, I wasn't expecting to like it - but it's a grower.

I didn't think I was going to like that, but I got into it more as the album went on - some fine lyrics and tunes.  The delivery reminded me of quite a few things across the years - Arctic Monkeys, quite a few things from the 90s (and I'd completely forgotten about the fantastic "Where's Me Jumper" by Sultans Of Ping FC) and also this <'ullo John, got a new motor?> which always makes me chuckle - "Is there life on Mars?  Is there life in Peckham?"  

The channel gave it one raised hands, one woo hoo, one love parrot, one thumbs up and a few positive comments.  Wikipedia tells me this was their debut album and it was well received both critically and commercially, reaching #2 in the UK - kept off the top by mean old Lady Gaga.  She didn't need to do that now, did she?!?

"Customers also listened to" - to no-one's great surprise, a load of people I've never heard of.  But I liked this considerably more than I was expecting.

21.12.17 : The Real Ramona - Throwing Muses (1986)

Another one of my picks to finish off the year.

Me today, you lucky people - you've obviously not heard enough from me all year.  I'm going for something from way back that I still love - The Real Ramona by Throwing Muses.  They never really had the impact or critical love over here that some of their contemporaries did (I'm looking at you Pixies) but I think they made some great records.  Kristin Hersh, the lead singer, is an absolutely fascinating character and this album also features Tanya Donnelly who went on to form Belly, who are also well worth checking out if you like this kinda thing.  They're still hanging around to this day putting out some good stuff, but the run they went on in the late 80s/early 90s was imho phenomenal and went somewhat under the radar, so hopefully this will be a pleasing enough introduction for some of you.  Merry Xmas and all best for 2022 to everyone!

And yes, there's obviously a related blog post.  It's too early to say what the channel thinks of it, but I'm sure they'll love it, right?  "Customers also listened to" Belly, Lush and The Breeders - and you can't go far wrong with any of them.

My blog, my pick, my winner, I'm afraid - although The Glitch Mob would have won many rounds.  And with that, we've made it to the end of the year - thank you to everyone who's read anything and as a reward I'm going to take a break for a bit.  But not before one last "what did we think of 2021 then?" post.

21.12.08 - FOUR albums?!?
2021 - It's over, people!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves