The death of the disco - probably her fault

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

14/10/22 : N.K-Pop - Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott


Somewhat to my surprise, this is my second visit with the pair from slightly North of the Watford Gap.  Last time I wasn't overly impressed so whilst I've no problems with listening to this, I can't say my expectations are that high - although I'm intrigued to find out what the album title means (and yes, I know it's a play on K-pop, but I'm intrigued what the N.K bit means).

And yeah - it's fine.  It's pretty rough and ready and bounces along - it reminded me more of The Housemartins that The Beautiful South. Do I remember any of the tracks?  Nope - not in the slightest but I guess they might stick with a re-listen or two (which won't happen).  I'm actually quite intrigued who is listening to this, because I can't imagine the sort of person it appeals to - but it obviously does appeal to plenty and I don't begrudge them their success in the slightest.

We're at #1 in the charts this week with a new entry - their second album to make it there (they've had 5 top five albums).  The rest of the top 5 this week are Easy Life (another new entry from a band I'd completely forgotten I'd previously visited), Ed (who we've not mentioned for a bit), Harry (who we have) and The Weeknd (his best-of climbing back up for no obvious reason).  And there's one more new entry in the top ten - Charlie Puth at #9 (which I can definitely live without in my life).

Wikipedia tells me from several sources that the lyrics are razor sharp and up there with Heaton's best - which I'd have to say completely passed me by, so maybe a re-listen is in order (nope - still not happening).  It doesn't explain N.K-Pop, but a (surprisingly tricky) Google search turns up the answer - North Korean Pop.  Ah yes - makes perfect sense when you think about it!  Doh!  Heaton explains it nicely - ""We're K-pop if you're on the wrong side of the border."

"Customers also listened to" The Beautiful South, The Housemartins, The Proclaimers and Ricky Ross (him out of Deacon Blue).  And if you like any of them, you might like this I guess - but as I said, I didn't mind it but I'm not sure who it would appeal to.

07/10/22 - A complete surprise
21/10/22 - Surprisingly enjoyable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves