Who am I to disagree?

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

01/05/83 : Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Eurythmics


Another woman - shocking behaviour!  I knew this one pretty well back in the day but haven't listened to it (or anything by them) in years, so am looking forward to revisiting it.  It's also worth remembering how Annie's androgynous look caused a lot of consternation back in the day - it was easy to dismiss Boy George as a drag act or a clown, but Annie seemed to be trying to take the men on at their own game.  And Dave seemed to be letting her - or even worse, encouraging her!  Which certainly upset some people a lot.  Anyways, let's head back to the music. 

And yeah, I enjoyed that.  "Love Is A Stranger" and the title track are the obvious highlights, but the rest of it rattles along nicely.  I suspect a lot of the tracks would somewhat blend into the background without Annie's vocal, so I guess it's a good job she's there, isn't it?  I'd forgotten how nicely quirky "This Is The House" was as well.  I like the album cover, but it does feel like they could have made better use of the striking image - it's almost like they felt they had to use it, but didn't want to offend anyone.  But the most excellent news about this album is that is one I had a home-taped version of, taking us to the dizzy heights of 10.5/35.

We're at #5 this week in their 13th week of a 44 week run (peaking at #3) but it was back after Xmas for another 15 weeks across three visits - and then one more random week in June '91.  Odd.  Above it in the charts this week were DavidMichael and Spandau, (it's been some time since one of those three wasn't at the top) and Heaven 17 with a new entry.  And there's another new entry at #8 with Meat Loaf's Midnight At The Lost And Found, which I've never heard and very much doubt I ever will now! 

Firstly, I have to say that Wikipedia taught me that they're not The Eurythmics - I don't think I ever knew there was no definite article involved.  Apart from that, it doesn't have a lot of interest apart from the curious coincidence that this was the 72nd best selling album of the year in the US in both 1983 AND 1984 - what are the chances of that?

"Customers also listened to" David Bowie, Cyndi Lauper, Soft Cell and the soundtrack to Totally Spies.  Well, that was unexpected.  I like this album though and it was fun to revisit it - it does feel of its time, but it's certainly a good example of "of its time".

24/04/83 - Not as terrible as expected
08/05/83 - A surprisingly successful album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves