I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

08/05/83 : Faster Than The Speed Of Night - Bonnie Tyler


One I've never heard, but it's another one I'm pleased to visit.  And it's nice to see another woman for a change - except for Maggie Reilly guesting on Mike Oldfield's album, this is the first woman we've seen since Alison Moyet with Yazoo at the end of July and the first one who's been named and seen on the album cover since Elaine Paige in December (and Bonnie has far more impressive hair, although I'm not convinced by the laser)

"Have You Ever Seen The Rain" is a pleasing album opener which is followed by the title track, which exudes a very Meat Loaf vibe (and the fact that it goes on far too long adds greatly to this).  The Mea Loaf vibe is continued in spades by "Getting So Excited" which contains the phrase "I'd do anything for love - but I won't do that".  And then we have "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" which you're probably aware of - although maybe not the album version, which surprised me by considerably longer than the single version (2:28 longer!)   And if you've not seen the literal video version, then you really should.

We then have some bizarre reggae-rock, some rawk (which again lasts FAR too long), a couple of ballads and a Bryan Adams cover.  All in all, it's a very bizarre selection of tracks - not unpleasantly so, although it's certainly of its time.  I'm not sure I'm ever going to revisit it but I was pleased to experience if for the first time - and it's not one Mrs Reed would have gone for either, so we're down to 10/34.

We're at #7 in the charts again this week - her fifth week in a 29 week run, having debuted at #1.  A fine effort from the lass and she managed another 16 weeks across seven further visits before finally disappearing in July '84.  Above her in the charts this week were SpandauMichaelDavid, New Order (the highest new entry), Heaven 17 and Tears For Fears - the same top six as last time.  And we've got another new entry in the top 10 - Imagination at #9 (and I bet that feels fantastically dated now).  I've got to mention the next new entry as well - The Kids From Fame at #14.  Yay!

Wikipedia tells me this is her fifth album - she's still going and is up to 18 now!  It also tells me that the Meat Loaf vibe might possibly come from the fact that the album's produced by Jim Steinman.  There are five cover versions in all - I knew "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" was a cover, but had forgotten it was by Creedance Clearwater Revival (the other ones were originally by Blue Oyster Cult, Lee Cosmin and Frankie Miller).  What I never knew was how phenomenally well this album did - as well as #1 over here (and New Zealand and Norway), it got to #4 in the US, selling over a million copies over there.

"Customers also listened to" Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benatar (who this is very reminiscent of in places), Madonna and, errr, A-Ha.  One of these things is not like the others.  I can't say I'll be rushing back to this, but it was an interesting listen which I enjoyed visiting.

01/05/83 - A welcome revisit
15/05/83 - 1983?  1953 more like...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves