Hey girl, move a little closer

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

24/04/83 : White Feathers - Kajagoogoo



I can't say I like "Too Shy", but it's a fine example of some 80s pop fluff, so I'll be happy enough to catch up with it.  I have a slight suspicion the rest of the album isn't going to be very good though - a sneak peak at the ratings on Amazon shows 10/10 for "Too Shy", 3/10 for "Ooh To Be Ah" and 0/10 for everything else.  Oh well, let's crack on and experience the horror...

Well, it's easy to be sniffy about but it's not really a horror show.  It provides a nice hit of nostalgia even if you never listened to it at the time - it just sounds like the 80s.  Is it good?  Well, no - but it isn't terrible if you like this sort of thing.  I did stop at the end of the original album though rather than listening to the extra 30 minutes of randomness on the deluxe re-release.  And no, this isn't one either of us has ever owned - 10.5/36.  The way things are going we're going to be lucky to make 25%.

We're at #5 with a new entry this week - it managed a run of 20 weeks, which has to be mostly down to "Too Shy", but the association with Nick Rhodes probably didn't hurt either.  Above it in the charts were DavidMichael and Spandau (of course) with Bonnie Tyler making up the numbers this week!  We have another new entry in the top ten - Men At Work at #8, which is nice to see what with Down Under having been back in the charts recently.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot of the album - the only fact of interest was that it was produced by Nick Rhodes and Colin Thurston, who was also Duran Duran's producer.  It was bizarrely successful elsewhere though - #38 in the US, #3 in Finland and #1 in the Japanese Western album chart.

"Customers also listened to" a most bizarre selection - Animotion, Thomas Dolby, The Power Station and Dead Or Alive.  I'll be pleased if I stumble across Thomas on my travels, but I can live without the rest of them.  As I can live without Kajagoogoo, but it wasn't as dreadful as I was expecting.  I can assure you it wasn't great either though...

17/04/83 - Those boys, eh?
01/05/83 - A welcome revisit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves