Funny how I forget to blink

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

26/03/21 : Justice - Justin Bieber


He's been hanging around there or thereabouts so I was wondering if I'd be subjected to this - but I saw he hadn't made it to #1 so was thinking I might escape.  But, here we are!  I would say I'm considering less sniffy about the guy than I would have been 5 years ago, but I wasn't sure I needed a whole album's worth.

And no, I really didn't.  None of the tracks are horrible, but it's all a bit woo-hoo bland and blurs together over the course of a whole album.  There also sounds to be an awful of tuning/modulation going on with his voice - maybe it's just for effect, but it's somewhat overdone.  And the addition of rappy bits and preachy bits (I'm not sure MLK ever imagined he would end up here!) to make it relevant are just a bit dull really.  I do realise it's not aimed at me though - I'm sure it hits the spot for its intended audience (although the fact that it didn't make #1 is interesting).

It hasn't exactly done badly though - this was its first week in the chart coming in at #2 and it stayed in the top 5 for 6 weeks and it's still in the charts as I write this, some 50 weeks later.  It was kept off the top this week by Lana del Rey coming straight in at #1 and the only other new entry is Black Honey at #7.

Wikipedia has a frankly astonishing 383 milliPeppers on the album - what on earth did they find to write out about it?  Well, we'll never know, will we?  The album was generally reviewed well and the public bought it in bucket loads, with it making a lot of "year end" charts - #1 in Denmark and #2 in Norway, so them Scandis obviously loved it.

"Customers also listened to" The Kid Laroi, Lil Nas X and Harry Styles - a somewhat odd mix (and Harry's album is way better than I was expecting!).  It's a solid "No!" from me though on Justin - it all just felt very lazy.

19/03/21 - Offensively inoffensive
02/04/21 - Not quite sure about this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves