They met at Tootsie's & they fell in lust

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

20/05/22 : Dance Fever - Florence And The Machine


I like a bit of our Flo - she's got a great voice and has produced some cracking tracks in the past (along with her machine), so I approached this with a great deal of optimism.  This is also the first time I've written about her because so far, she's only had two mentions in my blog - once as a potential omission from Rolling Stone's list and once as a "customers also listened to" on the Of Monsters And Men album (which is a fine album that I've still yet to revisit!).

And well - at first listen, I like this album and think it could be a bit of a grower.  "My Love" is a fine track which has been all over the radio recently and "King" is also a fine opener as well.  But (and there's nearly always a but) - a lot of the album feels a bit experimental, with some bits reminding me of Kate Bush and other bits being more Joni Mitchell.  I wouldn't say it's particularly challenging or unpleasant, but it does mean that the album doesn't really flow (or Flo, maybe?).  All of which means that whilst I liked it, I didn't really enjoy it - does that make sense?  And whilst it could be a grower, it feels much more likely that I'll revisit Lungs or Ceremonials.  The album title is odd though, because it's not at all a dance album but it's a very fine album cover though - she does take a good picture.

We're at #1 with a new entry this week - it will be interesting to see how long it hangs around for.  Other new entries were Kendrick Lamar (#2 - I'll check it out at some point and no doubt continue to not really understand what he's trying to say), Black Keys (#5 - I won't be checking this out) and Bear's Den (#6 - no idea about this).

Wikipedia explains that the album title is all to do with choreomania, which our Flo has a bit of a thing about.  And if you know what choreomania is without Googling it, you're a wiser person than me - it's an interesting Wikipedia page though.  Back to the album, the critics liked it a lot and it's done pretty well globally, getting to #2 in a lot of countries (behind Kendrick, one suspects).

"Customers also listened to" Bastille, Foals and The Kooks - and I can see the links to all of them.  Part of me is hoping I do revisit this album to see if it does grow on me, but the more realistic part says that's unlikely to happen - it's well worth checking out if you've liked their previous stuff though.

13/05/22 - Yeah, I liked this
27/05/22 - A poor starving musician in need of the publicity

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves