Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say


Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

26/11/21 : Knebworth 1996 - Oasis



I loved the first two Oasis albums when they came out - interestingly my opinion of Definitely Maybe has improved since over the years whereas What's The Story has not aged so well for me (although it has the better tracks on it).  I have also seen them live and found it to be pretty dull karaoke with an extremely objectionable audience, so I'd have to say my expectations for this were not overly high.  And there are 100 minutes of it as well.  Sigh.

And yeah, it gets tiresome pretty quickly - made worse by Liam's quips between songs.  I can imagine that it was quite an experience being there and it's fun listening to this to remind yourself of it, but it's just all a bit of a drone for me, I'm afraid.  "Wonderwall" and "Don't Look Back In Anger" stand out (of course) and "The Masterplan" is surprisingly enjoyable but apart from that it all feels very inessential - I struggle to imagine many people would listen to it all the way through, let alone more than once.

This week we're at #4 again in the charts (can you guess who's got the top 3 spots?  Why yes, it WAS EdAdele and Abba) and again, this album experienced its high point on the week of release and then slowly drifted out of the charts after 8 weeks (which was longer than I was expecting).

Wikipedia has a joint entry for this and the accompanying documentary but it's not exactly jam packed with information.  The only facts of interest I could see are that the documentary was directed by Ridley Scott’s son, was the UK's highest grossing documentary of 2021 (and I can imagine it would be a more enjoyable experience than this) and John Squire plays on the last two tracks (and he's a lot more of an interesting character than either of the Gallaghers).

"Customers also listened to" Liam Gallagher, Beady Eye and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - and surprisingly, I find Beady Eye far and away the most interesting of this lot, which wasn't at all what I was expecting.  This is fine if you REALLY like this sort of thing, but I quite like this sort of thing and found it all depressingly dreary.

19/11/21 - A compilation album - how quaint!
03/12/21 - Not quite my cup of tea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves