I just miss the joy of missing out

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

24/01/20 : More. Again. Forever - The Courteeners


I'm not a fan of them Courteeners, but a few people who know about these things really like 'em, so part of me thinks I should.  But so far, it's just not happened - maybe this time though?

And, well - what just happened there?  After the first couple of tracks, I was all ready to give this a "perfectly fine, but nothing more" rating - but the more it went on, the more I got into it.  The songs are all very tight and there's considerably more variety there than I was expecting - the title track is nicely funky and "Joy Of Missing Out" also jumped out at me, as much for the fine title as anything else.  I was reminded of Kasabian (their good stuff, rather than their rubbish stuff) or Reverend And The Makers (and yes, I know this isn't a recommendation for everyone, but I like them).  If I remember, there's a chance I'll revisit this - it was a very pleasant surprise.  It's a bizarre album cover though - a girl made up of butterflies and moths.

We're at #2 with a new entry for a change - they managed one more week before disappearing.  #1 with a new entry was Eminem and the other new entries were Bombay Bicycle Club (#3), Halsey (#6 - not bad at all) and Mac Miller (#8 - an intriguing glimpse into what might have been).  All in all, a fine set of new entries.

Wikipedia has more on the album than I was expecting, but it's not bursting at the seams with actual content - although it does mention the album was inspired by LCD Soundsystem and I can hear that.  It also tells me they played a gig to 50,000 people at Old Trafford last year - I had no idea they were that popular.  The critics generally liked the album, but it didn't seem to do much away from here - which is a shame because it's a fine album.

"Customers also listened to" Enemy, DMAs and Viola Beach - unfortunately, I've only heard of the last band and for all the wrong reasons.  I liked this though and will be tempted to check out some of their other stuff - I was amazed to read there are another five albums for me to explore.

17/01/20 - One that's just not for me
31/01/20 - An impressive album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves