You ain't got a clue, let's be honest

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

17/01/20 : Heavy Is The Head - Stormzy




Mr Zed (as he's known in our house) is undoubtedly talented, obviously hasn't had the easiest of lives, successful but still pretty humble and puts out some well thrown-together tracks.  But, I just can't dig the man's music (I suspect he can live with that though) so I'm expecting something admirable rather than enjoyable for me.

And so it came to pass.  I don't hate any of it, but I don't really like it either - I don't really even like the singles, although it's possible this may be as a result of over-exposure as much as anything else.  If you like it, then you like it but I absolutely have to listen to this sort of thing, I'd go for Dave as opposed to Stormzy - sorry, Mr Zed!

We're at #3 in the charts this week, in his fifth week of a 72 week run that he put together.  Unusually, he didn't reach #1 until his 4th week - there was some odd Xmas/New Year listening going on which we'll get into on later posts and this week Lewis and Selena (a new entry) pushed him off the top spot.  Other new entries in the top ten were Easy Life (#7) and Sheku Kannu-Mason & the LSO (#8).

Wikipedia has a bit on the album, most of which basically says "people liked it" - particularly the critics.  It also did better across Europe than I imagined it would - it feels like a UK kinda-thing to me (but seriously, what do I know about any of this?)

"Customers also listened to" AJ Tracey ("live and direct" - it's illegal not to say this after his name), Skepta, J Hus and Dave.  All stuff which, along with this album, I don't know much about and things are going to stay that way, aren't they?

10/01/20 - One I wanted to hate more
24/01/20 - An unexpected pleasure

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves