Send Sally to the sandbox, baby

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

02/10/20 : Ultra Mono - Idles


I know lots of people like Idles, but I am not one of those people (see also - Sleaford Mods).  They're just a bit too shouty for my delicate ears and I find it extremely unlikely this is going to change my mind - but I'll give it a go anyway.

No, it didn't - I actually didn't generally mind the music and thought there was more skill involved than I was expecting, but I just can't get with the vocal delivery.  At least it's only 42 minutes, I guess.  It's possible I might have enjoyed it during my angry young man phase (which lasted for approximately five minutes some time in the mid eighties) and I can see it will fill a need for some, but not me at this stage of my life, I'm afraid.  Now, where are my pipe and slippers?  I was intrigued by the album cover though - apparently it's a guy being hit in the face by a large pink ball (which represents love) done in the style of Caravaggio.  Obviously.

We're at #1 with a new entry again - as has been the case every week this year so far, but won't be next week!  Idles managed three weeks on the charts before disappearing and the other new entries in the top ten are a decidedly odd mix - Machine Gun Kelly (#3), The Deftones (#5), Joji (#6) and Slade (#8).  We also have Prince's Sign O' The Times as a re-entry at #7 and Michael Kiwanuka climbing 74 places to #4, so some very odd things were going on this week.

Wikipedia has a surprising amount on the album which says surprisingly little.  Unsurprisingly, the critics loved it - I was somewhat nostalgic to see a review from Q included in there (Google it, kids).  The album did surprisingly well across Europe though and even made it to #54 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of, but I suspect I'm safe assuming I won't like them.  Just not for me, I'm afraid!

25/09/20 - Well, I didn't hate it
09/10/20 - Not sure I see the point to this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves