The cat and mouse tried to make me Barbie sized - and I obliged

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

09/04/21 : Dancing With The Devil...The Art Of Starting Over - Demi Lovato


Snappy title!  I am aware of Demi, but not sure exactly what they do these days - "grown up" pop, I'm guessing.  I'm expecting some nice enough singing on some nice enough songs, but not really to engage with it.

And yeah, it's all fine and they've got a nice voice - they're working through some issues on this album (and the lass has some issues to work through).  I liked "Melon Cake" although I was slightly concerned as to what melon cake might be - fortunately even urbandictionary.com is unable to work out any rude connotations (and they ALWAYS manage to make things rude).  The term refers to when their management team used to give them watermelon instead of cake on their birthday to keep them thin - so it's not surprising they have some issues to work out, is it?  Their version of "Mad World" is also fine - I'd be gushing over it if Gary Jules (and Michael Andrews, who I always forget) hadn't done their version (20 years ago now!).  Overall though, Demi's album did somewhat pass me by.

We're at #2 in the charts - they managed four weeks in the charts before they disappeared.  They were beaten to the top by The Snuts and other new entries were Dry Cleaning (#4 - I liked this) and Lil Tjay (#7 - not heard this because I never listen to albums by Lil Anyone through choice).

Wikipedia had more on the album than you might expect (202 milliPeppers) but Demi is more of a thing over there than they are here, so that's probably the reason.  Most of it doesn't really seem to say a lot although it's interesting that this is their first album under Scooter Braun's management, who's the guy that is the reason for Taylor re-recording all her earlier albums.  The critics mostly liked this though and it did well commercially globally, although it "only" made #2 in the US as well - probably not kept off the top by The Snuts over there though.  Wikipedia also explains Demi's pronouns are "them/they" so I've just had to revisit all of this and change them - I'm trying to learn and grow, honest!

"Customers also listened to" Miley Cyrus, Halsey, Bebe Rexha (who pops up quite a lot in this section, but I've no idea who she is) and Camilla Cabello.  I'm pleased that Demi seems to have got at least some of their life back on track, but don't feel the need to listen to this again - although I won't mind if "Melon Cake" pops up from time to time.

02/04/21 - Not quite sure about this
16/04/21 - I don't understand what all the fuss is about

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves