Fox, hare, kestrel skull

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

02/04/21 : Collections From The Whiteout - Ben Howard



I think I'm vaguely aware of Ben Howard and don't think I'm overly impressed with him - but I could be mistaken, so I'm trying to keep an open mind...

...and I don't think it was Ben Howard I was thinking of when I wasn't impressed - but nonetheless I can't say I'm overly convinced by it.  It's singer-songwriter-folk by someone who's been listening to Radiohead or the like and so wants to play around with stuff - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  If I listened to it a few more times, I might get into it, but I'm not 100% sure I would.  I really didn't need 62 minutes of it though - it really started to drag towards the middle..

We're at #1 with a new entry again - he managed an impressive run of one week!  Straight in at #1 and then gone - a small but loyal fanbase or a large fanbase who didn't like it, I guess.  The other new entries in the top 10 were Evanescense (#4) and  Floating Points and friends (#6 - which I liked a lot more than I expected when I met it previously).

Wikipedia basically tells me the album was released and the critics and public generally liked it.  And that's it.  As a sympathy review, I looked at his Wikipedia page and found out he won a couple of Brits back in 2013, so he was obviously a bit of a bigger thing back in the day than I remember him being.

"Customers also listened to" Villagers (which I can totally see the similarity with) and Babe Rainbow, Big Red Machine and Angela Aux (none of whom I can tell you the slightest thing about!).  There's skill on display here, but it didn't quite click with me, I'm afraid.

26/03/21 - The one I've really been waiting for
09/04/21 - Perfectly acceptable pop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves