My thoughts becoming parasites

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

07/05/21 : Typhoons - Royal Blood


I've met Royal Blood on my travels before and enjoyed it more than I was expecting - so much so that I even remembered doing so and was looking forward to listening to this.

And yeah, it's got a good vibe to it - if not exactly easy to describe.  Maybe indie-dance-rock?  Does that help?  There's a bit of disco in there as well and the last track is pretty reminiscent of Pink Floyd - it all feels like it shouldn't really work, but it does so pretty well for me.  Go on, give it a go - you might like it!  I like the album cover as well.

We're straight in at #1 this week and they managed 11 weeks on the chart before dropping out, which is a pretty good run these days.  There were a few other new entries this week - The Coral (#2 - which I said I'd revisit, but never did), Mick Fleetwood & Friends (#3), Birdy (#4 - I liked this one and she's still only 25 despite having been around for yonks), Gojira (#6), Girl In Red (#7 - I quite liked this one too, it's a bit Robyn-esque), Pink Floyd (#8) and DJ Khaled (#10 - and I bet he wasn't expecting to be the eighth highest new entry!).  Phew - a record number so far, I'm pretty sure.

Wikipedia remarks on the "notable shift in the band's sound" and tells us the critics liked it a lot, with them generally thinking this was their best work so far.  The public liked it as well - it charted in quite a few European countries, #5 in Australia and even cracked the top 50 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Black Pistol Fire, Dinosaur Pile-up and The Virgin Marys - none of whom I can tell you anything about, but they're all fine names.  I liked this album though, even though I totally failed to describe what it was like or what I liked about it.  Useless, I know...

30/04/21 - An interesting listen
14/05/21 - A bit of a let-down, unfortunately

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves