My daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet"

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

16/04/21 : Fearless (Taylor's Version) - Taylor Swift



Wow - which version am I supposed to listen to?  Amazon has eight different versions of this - of which five are varieties of Taylor's version.  Too confusing!  I picked one that was definitely Taylor's version and had 26 tracks lasting 100 minutes, so I guess I must have got most of her vision, surely?  I was expecting it to be fine, but not the work of genius that everyone else seems to think her stuff is.

And yeah, it all harmless enough, but I don't really understand the fuss.  I liked "Love Story" and didn't absolute hate any of the others but they all kinda blended into "tra la la - my/your boyfriend's great/not so great" to me.  And the length of it - jeez.  I appreciate that "Taylor's version" has to offer something different but 40 minutes would have been far preferable - amusingly the other four versions on Amazon were the version I listened to split into four 20-ish minute mini-albums and I reckon I'd been much happier picking one of those and listening to it.

We're at #1 (again) and she only hung around for 7 weeks for disappearing, but has been back for a couple of weeks - once at #9 and once at #95!  It's weird when someone famous has an opinion which means that everyone feels the need to listen to their music again for a day or two.  This was the only new entry in the top 10 - the next highest was DMX at #12 due to his untimely death the previous week.  The top 10 had an odd look to it this week - five of the albums in it had been in the charts for 40 weeks or more.

Wikipedia has a huge amount on the album (404 milliPeppers) and I just couldn't be arsed reading any of it - I understand her reasons for doing it and even applaud her for doing so, but at the same time, I just don't really care.  It's fair to say people liked it though - it was #33 in the year end list in the US.  Which considering most of these songs have been around since 2008 is madness, I tell ya!

"Customers also listened to" Selena Gomez, Olivia Rodrigo, Miley Cyrus and Billie Eilish - nobody expected that, eh?  As with Red and 1989, I think this is perfectly acceptable if you're after this sort of thing, but struggle to understand the almighty fuss.  Sorry, Taylor!

09/04/21 - Perfectly acceptable pop
23/04/21 - Not a lot to say about this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves