I never had a name and I never felt the same

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

23/04/21 : Californian Soil - London Grammar


I'm expecting this to sound like London Grammar...

...and it does.  Don't get me wrong, I like London Grammar and I like this album - but if you don't like London Grammar then you won't like this.  If you don't know London Grammar, then check this out - particularly if you like a warbly female vocalist (and I do!).  Yes, I know that's not a helpful description but I doubt much more is actually required here.  It's a nice pre-Raphaelite album cover though!

We're at #1 with a new entry (of course) and they managed a run of ten weeks before disappearing - a decent effort.  Other new entries in the top ten are AJ Tracey (#2 - I can do without listening to that), The Offspring (#3 - nope), Imelda May (#6 - in my head, I always confuse her with Imelda Marcos) and Greta Van Fleet (#8 - nope, don't want that one either).  Not the best top 10 for me, methinks.

Wikipedia has very little on the album - the critics were somewhat mixed on it, but it sounded to me as if the haters were just gonna hate.  It did well commercially though, #1 in Switzerland and Australia and top ten in a lot of places.  But nothing in the US - and I think they'd go down well if they could just manage to get some exposure.

"Customers also listened to" Holly Humberstone, Jessie Ware and Freya Ridings - all nice warblers themselves (and Freya's album is particularly fine).  Yes, this is a short entry but there's really not a lot to say on the album, I'm afraid - but you shouldn't take this to mean I don't like it, because I thought it was a good example of "that sort of thing", which I like.

16/04/21 - I don't understand what all the fuss is about
30/04/21 - An interesting listen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves