Maybe time has turned our diamonds into dust

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

02/07/21 : Europiana - Jack Savoretti


Jack Savoretti is one of those guys that I know has been around for ages, but I'd struggle to place anything he's done.  Maybe that's all about to change!

Hmmm - well I wasn't really expecting him to sound like that.  They're decent enough songs I guess, but they're all desperately uncool (and I think I was expecting someone called Jack Savoretti to be pretty damn cool).  It's all very laid-back Euro-lounge-singer kinda stuff - it obviously has its fans, but I'd struggle to imagine who they are.  I'm happy enough for them to enjoy it though - but please don't expect me to.  Sorry!  It's an interesting album title though - it feels like it should mean something, but the internet only turns up this album so I guess that means it was well chosen.

We're at #1 in the charts this week - straight in at the top.  He managed 5 weeks before disappearing from view with 2 weeks in the top 10, which is unusual.  Other new entries in the top 10 are Doja Cat (#3), Tyler, The Creator (#4) and John Grant (#8) - and I suspect John Grant would have been much more my kinda thing.

Wikipedia has four sentences on the album and somehow manages to crowbar the fantastically awkward phrase "debuted atop" in there twice.  There's no comment on critical reception though - a quick review of the internet doesn't turn up much either.  I'm guessing the fans like it and the critics just let him get on with it.  Wikipedia also tells me his real name is Giovanni Edgar Charles Galletto-Savoretti, which is a fine moniker indeed and he's been on the scene since 2007, so he really has been hanging around for ages!

"Customers also listened to" George Cosby, Mark Kingswood and Tom Speight - all of whom look to be very dapper young men.  Who I suspect produce music I won't like.  Having said that "won't like" feels harsh for this album - I just couldn't bring myself to actually like it.  And I don't know who else would - but obviously plenty of people do.

25/06/21 - An ironic use of "best of"
09/07/21 - An album you may be aware of

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves