You can reciprocate - I got delicious taste

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

24/09/21 : Planet Her - Doja Cat


I've heard a couple of singles from this and quite liked them, so was looking forward to listening to it - but wasn't sure it would have the variety to sustain my interest for a full album.

And well - I think it just about managed it.  The singles I recognise - "Woman", "Need To Know", and "Kiss Me More" - are the high points for me, maybe just because I recognise them or quite possibly because they picked the best tracks as singles (which seems like a radical concept, right?).  I think the use of guest artists helps deliver more variety - and it's interesting that both Ariana Grande and SZA guest on the album because I'm hard pushed to say what Doja has that makes her different to those two, but I guess there's just about enough room out there in this big old world for the three of them.  It also, obviously, pretty rude in places (particularly "Ain't Shit" - who expected that, eh?)

We're at #4 in the charts this week - Drake was spending his third mystifying week at #1, Lil Nas X debuted at #2 (and it surprises me this never made it to #1- not quite my cup of tea, but it has a lot to recommend it) and Olivia Rodrigo makes up the top 3 (the first time we've mentioned her on this exercise, but it won't be the last!).  This album never made it to #1 either, but has been in the charts for 33 weeks now and is still hanging around the top 20, so it's certainly got some staying power.  Other new entries in the top 10 this week were Tion Wayne, Bob Dylan, Genesis and Millionz and on balance, I'm happy enough to have had Doja Cat to listen to - but I must admit to being intrigued as to what the Genesis album sounds like (yes, I'm an old man).

Wikipedia has a huge amount on the album (483 milliPeppers) which I can't claim to have read in full, but it was most instructional to read about her various controversies and I learned a new phrase - "milkshake duck".  I was also amused to read the following "On clean versions of the album, "Ain't Shit" is excluded from the tracklist" - as the saying goes, no shit!  The album was well received critically being up for the "Album Of The Year" Grammy (amongst others) - I was quite surprised it wasn't on The Guardian's top 50 of 2021 list.  It also did well commercially, but didn't quite make it to #1 in most countries - except for Lithuania and New Zealand, so I hope she visits them to say thanks.

"Customers also listened to" Lil Nas X, Maroon 5, Dua Lipa and SIlk Sonic - a slightly odd mix.  I liked this more as an album than I was expecting to - the good bits are very good and the rest of it doesn't drag as much as I feared.  I struggle to imagine it will convert too many to the cause but personally I reckon it's worth a listen to see if you like it.

17/09/21 - One for the old men
01/10/21 - One for the kids

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves